• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

6 to go!!! posted by Yankeejose

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

But pretty much tapped out cash-wise for now

I am down to needing just 6 coins to complete my 32-64 Washington set. (The PCGS 1937 MS66 is pending verification and the 1948 D MS66 has not arrived yet) It will still take me about 3-4 more months to complete as I have used up my budget for the near future plus the holiday season is coming soon. The 1934P and 1962D are somewhat allusive in MS66 and a little pricey. Of course I am sure I could get one now by overpaying one of the buy-it-now rip-off sellers on EBay. If value for my money was no object this set could easily have been completed a long time ago. There is always somebody ready and willing to sell us a coin at an absurd BIN price. The challenge for me is to get a nice coin at a good price that I could actually sell it for if I had to. Sure I could pay $200-250 for a $120-140 coin any day of the week. Or I could bid on an ugly rust colored or black toned coin. They keep coming back every week on EBay because they don't sell.

I knew today was going to be a gloomy, rainy Saturday afternoon so I went to the SDB so I could spend the day writing up descriptions for all my quarters. I wish I had a high quality camera and the skills to take accurate pictures to include in my registry set. Hopefully this will be a project for me in this upcoming snowy winter. I am not optimistic after reading on our friend Gary Herrmann's recent post about his frustrations on getting the right coloring for his coins. He has a lot better set-up than I ever will, plus he knows what he is doing!

It was fun to go back through my coins and relook at them. I tried to classify them in about 5 different basic categories. Blast white, white with no toning, mixed toned with some luster, limited luster with heavy colorful toning, and limited luster with uncolored toning (in other words ugly). Unfortunately I do have a few that fall into this last bucket and may need an upgrade.

It was interesting to see a basic pattern emerge of my coins that sort of coincides with history and Q. David Bowers book on Washington quarters. In the mid 1930's fewer people could afford to save shiny new quarters because if the Great Depression. Thus more were picked out of circulation with light wear- (AU). In the late 30's to the late 40's buying and selling full rolls was the dealer/collector/investor craze. Thus more white UNC coins were available for later submission to TPG's. As the roll craze slowed in the late 40's and early 50's, mint sets were starting to be released (1947). As more mint sets were sold there was an upturn in toned coins due to the mint set packaging toning the coins. These patterns go along in general with my collection. I have mainly white coins from the late 30's and 40 and more toned coins from the 50's and early 60's. I won't pay a premium for toned coins as that will blow out my budget and take a long longer to find if I wanted to have a complete toned set. But since there a lot of 50's toners I did not have to pay a premium for those, but again mine are not the prized full rainbow with luster versions. So I have a mixed bag set- ok by me.

Thanks for reading and best of luck in all your collecting endeavors! Dave

See more journals by Yankeejose

Congrats YJ..that is a very large set to assemble and you've done a great job with your endeavor. Good luck on filling the final 6 slots. Happy hunting.........

Great job YH....I started a Washington set in 1998 that never got finished so I know what you are going through. Hang in there and I am sure some great coins will come your way.

Doug

Congrats, YJ and that was a great post!! I know how you must feel, as I am in the same position with my early Walkers. Just keep plugging along and upgrade when you can!!

Congrats on nearly finishing your quarter set! I feel for you with some of the absurd Buy it Now prices on eBay. It's frustrating to see a coin that would fit perfectly into your set only to find a ridiculous BIN price attached to it. I'm sure you know this, but try finding the dealer's website. Often, the coin is listed much cheaper there since eBay fees do not apply. I always enjoy reading your journals, and good luck with completing your quarter set!

Ahh, finally, light at the end of the tunnel! Go for it, you're almost there, but don't forget the things that got you here when you go out to purchase those final six coins! Thank you for your kind comments on my photography skills!

Gary

Dave,

Congrats on your steady set progress ! I would definitely try to replace the "uglies". As you noted, these coins keep coming back on ebay as nobody wants them, so writing them off and replacing as your budget allows is a good idea.

Sounds like when you have finished this will be a set of well valued, nice looking Washingtons.

Continued success !

Rich