• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do You Get an NGC Coin Upgraded of a Star (*) added? posted by 00001AAA Coins

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I've tried Three Methods and Only One Works.

I've tried three different methods to get an existing NGC coin upgraded or have a Star (*) added. My first attempt was to send in five (5) coins for a regrade. This didn't work at all. All the coins can back graded the same in new holders. My second attempt was a crack-out with a 1922 Gold Grant Dollar coin. I posted a journal about the success I had with NGC upgrading the coin from MS 65 to MS 66. My most recent attempt was to send in a group of coins for a Designation Review to see if I could get a Star (*) added. This was wholly unsuccessful. All the coins came back graded the same despite the very nice toning on many of the coins.

At this point I am convinced the only way to get an existing NGC coin upgraded or have a Star (*) added is through the crack-out game. Obviously cracking out a coin is not without risks, but then there are rewards to be had with the right coin.

Have you had success getting NGC to upgrade your coins or have a Star (*) added? If so please post as I am always interested in better ways to achieve this goal.

14368.jpg

See more journals by 00001AAA Coins

If you are looking for a star on that dime ---- Won't Happen!!! The rims are too dark, tone is too thick and the blotchy spots in the toning kill the coins attractiveness!! NGC will give stars when they are deserving as such. :) If it dosen't happen the first time more than likely won't work in the second round. You will need to search for new coins that have a real POP to their look -- color or PL -coins.

Later---Rick

Have to agree with Rick's assessment. Take a look at some other coins that have the "Star" and you will see how they really "pop" out at you. The strike might be superb but with this coin the toning and the way it is distracts from the visual appearance.

Agree with Rick's assessment.

I try to find vibrant crescent rainbow rim toning that really contrasts with blast white on the coin's focal point. ( See attached 66 star Morgan from my 19th Century type set with the look I hunt for ) That combo very appealing to my eye.

Cheers !

141896.jpg.d9be3964fcf5aa60af947532f8eeee67.jpg