• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for the dealers...

7 posts in this topic

A customer comes into your shop or meets you at a show with a complete set of US coins to sell in an album, (say Barber halves to get more specific-or just substitute your favorite series here), in a collectible and problem free grade(perhaps Fine or VF). The set is matching for the grade and as I mentioned problem free and would be easy to resell.

Would you want the key dates or better dates graded or would it matter to you. If the collector had cracked out the key dates from holders, would saving the tags make any difference to you in terms of an offer to the collector?

It wouldn't matter to me whether the key dates were graded or not. That said, if they were graded, depending upon the grading and my opinion of the coins, it might cause me to pay somewhat more or less than I would, were the coins not graded.

Saving and being able to provide tags for coins which have been cracked out, would be far more likely to help, than hurt, the seller.

Saving the tags is nice, but it's not going to stop the collector from getting less money because he or she cracked the coins out of their slabs. As everyone knows you have no guarantee of getting the same grade the second time around; the grade could higher; or it could be lower. At any rate the dealer still has to bear the expense of getting the coins graded if that will result in a higher price. The dealer will have to bear the cost of grading and shipping, and that lowers the amount the dealer can pay.

Saving the tags is nice, but it's not going to stop the collector from getting less money because he or she cracked the coins out of their slabs. As everyone knows you have no guarantee of getting the same grade the second time around; the grade could higher; or it could be lower. At any rate the dealer still has to bear the expense of getting the coins graded if that will result in a higher price. The dealer will have to bear the cost of grading and shipping, and that lowers the amount the dealer can pay.

I'm not a full time coin dealer per se (although I may get there in the future), but I'll throw in my two cents anyway. I agree with BillJones here. If the dealer is going to maximize his profit on the coin, then it would most likely need to be slabbed, which means that he will incur grading fees to submit the coins again. I would venture to say that most dealers/resellers would pay more for the certified coins, because they can be moved much more easily and there is no delay associated with the submission of the materials. And no matter the experience level, having coins already slabbed minimizes the dealer's risk of having overlooked something.

I'm not a dealer, either, but. something else to think about.

To use the OP's example of Barber halves take the 1892-O in VF. A decent offer raw might be $450 to $475. Graded--$550 to $575. It's going to cost the seller at least $50 or so to get it graded himself.

You're going to take 30 to 45 days longer to get paid an extra 50 bucks?

Where is the benefit to the seller to have it slabbed prior to sale?