• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Newp....1925-S Buffalo Nickel...

20 posts in this topic

I'm always on the hunt for a BIG strike or a Buff which is always in the weak strike territory with full details. Well, this very well could be my biggest find yet. A 1925-S Buff with one heck of a strike for the date. This coin is a beauty with very clean fields and better than average luster for the date. Very few blemishes and great eye appeal.

YES!!!! I'm taking a risk purchasing this coin raw. I'm going on what I know and this one feels right. It is now in the hands of the pcgs graders as I sent it in, overnight delivery for a 2 day walk thru. Sooooo, please wish me luck. Thanks for looking and as always your opinions are welcome......Joe

1925-S036_zps0f128032.jpg1925-S035_zpsbdb97f96.jpg

Wow very nice! These get very expensive at gem grades. Probably close to $20,000 in 65.

My first reaction was MS64.

Question: what is that mark on the buffalo's back, straight left of "UNUM"? The round one. I'm viewing from my iPhone so can't really see it clearly. Can't really see any SERIOUS hits besides this one.

Best of luck with the submission! And please post an update when you get the grade

Your images make it look cleaned/whizzed/dipped out/somehow messed with. However, since we're talking about a big money coin, and you've got the cajones to buy it raw, and you have assembled quite a nice set of Buffs, I assume you know what you're doing and it isn't a details coin. In that case, luster still seems semi-muted (once again, could just be the images) and I don't feel it would go any better than 64 especially given that they will be engaging in market grading, not technical grading. The strike certainly is nice and could buoy it, but we're talking a $15k buoy... that's a lot of dough for a nice strike.

Best of luck!

Your images make it look cleaned/whizzed/dipped out/somehow messed with. However, since we're talking about a big money coin, and you've got the cajones to buy it raw, and you have assembled quite a nice set of Buffs, I assume you know what you're doing and it isn't a details coin. In that case, luster still seems semi-muted (once again, could just be the images) and I don't feel it would go any better than 64 especially given that they will be engaging in market grading, not technical grading. The strike certainly is nice and could buoy it, but we're talking a $15k buoy... that's a lot of dough for a nice strike.

Best of luck!

Thank you, I too hope there will be no issues. If I did I never would have taken this kind of risk. The 25-S is not known for big luster nor big strikes. This one has better than average luster, and the strike is way above the mark for the date. Thanks again and I will keep ya posted as to the outcome...Joe

Nice job, Joe.

Did you check the mint mark in case of "additions" so to speak? If so and it looks good you got a 64+ minimum on that I think.

That being said....I like your other 25-S better. :cloud9:

jom

Nice job, Joe.

Did you check the mint mark in case of "additions" so to speak? If so and it looks good you got a 64+ minimum on that I think.

That being said....I like your other 25-S better. :cloud9:

jom

The first thing I did was to check for additions. I too like the color of my other 25-S more than just about any other buff I own except for maybe one other. Thanks Jom

The coin's color/surfaces/luster look odd to me. I will guess MS63 or worse.

Hi Mark,

This coin may have been dipped, it's raw....But, the details are MUCH better than 63 or worse, for sure!! Here is another 25-S Buff that was graded 63. Take a look see...

1925-SbuffaloNickel001.jpg1925-SbuffaloNickel005.jpg

Here's a 62...

TONEDBUFFS004-1_zpsb13f5ac7.jpgTONEDBUFFS007-1_zpsef073ee5.jpg

Soooo, I disagree on your assessment...Joe

Here's another image of this buff in less light. Maybe I hit it with too much light...

1925-sMS004_zps48cabdfc.jpg1925-sMS005_zpsbe5cfaa8.jpg

This coin is VERY clean which raises a flag, no question about that. But, to me it's worth a shot. Thanks again for your opinion....Joe

The coin's color/surfaces/luster look odd to me. I will guess MS63 or worse.

Hi Mark,

This coin may have been dipped, it's raw....But, the details are MUCH better than 63 or worse, for sure!! Here is another 25-S Buff that was graded 63. Take a look see...

1925-SbuffaloNickel001.jpg1925-SbuffaloNickel005.jpg

Here's a 62...

TONEDBUFFS004-1_zpsb13f5ac7.jpgTONEDBUFFS007-1_zpsef073ee5.jpg

Soooo, I disagree on your assessment...Joe

Joe, I hope I am wrong.

I think you are focusing too much on "detail" and not enough on surfaces/the overall look of the coin. Perhaps it's just the images, but it doesn't look original/natural/lustrous to me. And I like the comparison pieces much better.

Edited to add: It looks a bit better in your updated images, but I still stand by my assessment (albeit with less conviction). ;)

Yes Mark,

Like I said the surfaces do raise a flag. I think there is a chance the coin was dipped long ago and hoping this will NOT prevent this piece from getting holdered with a numerical grade. At least this is what I am hoping for. The coin does have luster and it's been my experience a coin CAN be "properly" cleaned and still make the grade. This 25-S has AMAZING details for the date. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. It sure as heck won't be the first time. Thanks again Mark.....Joe

Not to beat a dead horse, but here's an image of a 1925-s graded ms-66 by our host. The the 25-s is known for just average to good luster according to "The complete Guide to Buffalo Nickel's" By "David W. Lange" . He goes on to say "Overall weakness is the norm for this issue, particularly the bison's head and around the periphery"....

So, with that said this raw buff I'm showing you here seems to be quite a bit above the norm as far as strike and yes luster.

1925-Sms-66_zpsb54dbca5.jpg

By the way this coin is listed for sale on e-Bay for 40k plus if ya wanna take a look.

Thanks again for showing an interest in this post....Joe

Edited to say I think my buff in the original post has a better strike than this 66 I'm showing you above. Take a look around the periphery, look at the "Liberty" on the obverse. Look at the tail !!.....Joe

did you get a grade yet? very curious here to know how it turned out!

Yes I did. I hate to say it but the coin has been deemed cleaned by pcgs. And it's really to bad because the coins strike is over the top.

did you get a grade yet? very curious here to know how it turned out!

Yes I did. I hate to say it but the coin has been deemed cleaned by pcgs. And it's really to bad because the coins strike is over the top.

That sucks.. I'm very sorry to hear that.

Better luck next time

Best of luck!

Called it. Really sorry to hear it came back cleaned, though, that's a travesty, it looks marvelously clean with a great strike. :(