• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help with two new purchases: 1959 Type B Quarter and 1961 D/D Half

16 posts in this topic

Hey all!

Here are two new purchases from a local flea market (both found in mint sets!)

Many thanks for your assistance!

1959 Washington Quarter with Type B Reverse

FS-25-1959-901

1959WashingtonQuarterTypeB-Obverse_zpse878a6e5.png

1959WashingtonQuarterTypeB-Reverse_zps4dfd26a9.png

1961 D/D Franklin Half

RPM-001

1961DFranklinHalfRPM-001-Obverse_zpse8516c0f.png

1961DFranklinHalfRPM-001-Reverse_zpsfbbd2d43.png

1961FranklinHalfRPM-001MM1_zps0db23aa0.jpg

1961DFranklinHalfRPM-001MM3_zps69917dc5.jpg

1961DFranklinHalfRPM-001MM2_zps88c6173a.jpg

Everyone who is experienced enough to offer meaningful opinions must be out to lunch .... for three days now it would seem.

I would not even venture to offer an opinion on grade let alone FBL or not. I just thought I would let you know you are coming through just fine and those coins are nice examples that would probably do very well. Nice find.

I am especially interested to hear if you think the Franklin will go FBL.

Thank you!

Look at the left side of the upper set of lines. Why would you think it might go FBL?

I'm just not that familiar with the series - so I was hoping someone would help me learn what the standards are for FBL. In hand the lines there are stronger (must be in a shadow for the pic) but there are a couple hits across the lines. Is this similar to Jefferson Full Steps, where a hit across the steps will kill the FS?

Thanks!

I'm just not that familiar with the series - so I was hoping someone would help me learn what the standards are for FBL. In hand the lines there are stronger (must be in a shadow for the pic) but there are a couple hits across the lines. Is this similar to Jefferson Full Steps, where a hit across the steps will kill the FS?

Thanks!

Yes, depending upon the size and location, the hits can preclude the FBL designation.

Please keep in mind, that we are going by the images, and based on them, the coin doesn't even begin to approach FBL.

Thank you - and I do appreciate the help. I must admit that my grading skills, when it comes to MS coins, could use a lot more work.

If I took a guess, I'd say the quarter would be a 64 and the half a 62 or 61 due to the obverse marks. Am I really far off, or pretty close?

Thank you - and I do appreciate the help. I must admit that my grading skills, when it comes to MS coins, could use a lot more work.

If I took a guess, I'd say the quarter would be a 64 and the half a 62 or 61 due to the obverse marks. Am I really far off, or pretty close?

You're welcome.

To me, the quarter looks 64, possibly 65 and the half, MS63, possibly 62.

The above is based on the presumption that the flaws don't look as conspicuous in hand as they do in the large images.

the quarter does not look type B to me - but in 64 ish range

the half may go full bell lines at PCGS that only considers the bottom set of lines - no at NGC who looks at both sets. the face is scraped rather bad, and would make it difficult to grafe much more than 62

I am not sure if the D/D RPM has much value

Thanks - although I'm not sure what your criteria for Type B is...it has a strongly defined leaf that sticks out above the arrow points, as well as a strong leaf under the arrow shaft that touches the shaft...A in DOLLAR touching the leaves...classic Type B in every reference I've read.

I think we're at a consensus that the quarter is somewhere around 64/65.

I'm grateful for the info on the TPG differences in criteria for FBL - although I think I'm done sending varieties to NGC. Might try ANACS for a bit when I have coins worthy of encapsulation. I plan to keep them both for my cherrypicking collection for the time being...just trying to get better at grading. Probably could use a summer seminar on MS coins...

For those of you interested in the results, ANACS has completed my submission including these two (after only two weeks...nice work!)

The 1959 Type B is coming back in an MS65 holder.

The 1961 D/D is coming back in an MS64 holder.

Thanks to all who offered their opinions and advice...realizing that a slab is just another opinion, I'm happy that ANACS decided to offer a higher opinion than all of us. :)