• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philly show......

22 posts in this topic

no, too busy.

But, awaiting your report

Well, it was a lot less crowded there than I expected. They advertised "1000 dealers", but I'd GUESS it was closer to a little over 100 (although I had a time getting through all them!). My only gripe was a lot of the dealers started packing up around 12-1, when the show was advertised to close at 6. I can understand having to get ready to leave and all, but 5-6 hours before the end of the show? In any case, I saw a lot of coins WAY out of my price range, and absolute stunners!!! My son went with me and picked up a Mercury Dime and Walking Liberty half, this is what I came home with......

PCGS PR. I'm posting this in the GTG forum because I thought it was under graded, and would like to see what others here thought......

1884PR_zpsf7bc5b28.jpg

1884PR-R_zpsc5be2579.jpg

After this one, I only need the 1916 (which I'll never see) and the 1921 to fill the Philadelphia mints for my SLQ set........

1924_zps89406b74.jpg

1924-R_zps4f3c7633.jpg

....and 2 more additions to my favorite series......

1810_zps53b1f1bc.jpg

Reverse is turned slightly off kilter......

1810-R_zps7fb87d1c.jpg

1828_zps80103429.jpg

1828-R_zps4b5942e7.jpg

It sounds like the relatively light attendance (by dealers and collectors) is the main reason why Whitman has reportedly thrown in the towel on the Philly shows.

It sounds like the relatively light attendance (by dealers and collectors) is the main reason why Whitman has reportedly thrown in the towel on the Philly shows.

I can understand that. I thought we'd be standing in line at each dealers table to see what they had available, but most them we could just walk up and look and not feel pressured by other collectors to move along. It would figure though.....the first "big show" I go to may be my last....... :(

Whitman decided to drop their Philadelphia show for several reasons. One reason is problems dealing with the unions that are running the convention center there. There is a long thread discussing the union issue on the PCGS coin forums that's a real eye-opener.

Perhaps you can travel the extra hour or so and attend the Baltimore show - now that's a more crowded show!

I may try that, problem is, I'm basically a country boy and hate driving in cities, so I use the local busing co. to go there. For Philly and NY they have all day runs that I can catch whenever I'm ready to go, which they don't have for Baltimore. I'd only have a one time pick up there, if I miss that I'm stuck. Maybe a NY show.........

Thanks all for the compliments. I got everything I went there looking for so I'm a happy camper right now. :grin:

AcesKings,

Unfortunately, the only NYC show is the NY International in January, which is focused on World and Ancient coins. It's an awesome show - you'll see coins you never dreamed of there!

If the first-Sunday-of-the-month show in Parsippany, NJ is convenient for you, I'd highly recommend it - it has 80 - 100 dealers and a wide variety of material.

Other than that, while I'm sure that it would increase your travel costs, you could consider taking Amtrak to Baltimore from Philly - at least you'd have more return time options.

Unfortunately, the only NYC show is the NY International in January

Really? I'd think they'd have more than one show in NYC? Maybe I can talk my brother into driving to Baltimore, since he's more of a traveler than me.....now I have to try and get past his wife........ hm

Shows run on money. Ascribing Whitman's decision to one cause, "unions," is likely inaccurate.

Yes, but there is much more.

No disrespect intended, but if you lived here you might not solely hold that opinion. The Philly unions are the reason hotels are screaming because of a lack of adequate business.The hoteliers made public complaints by representatives of large convention groups stating why they were not returning. The complaints ranged from cost overruns to unfriendly service and even allegations of theft by union members. And unauthorized use of power tools by exhibitors. The convention business is down so much that the board just bought in SMG to deal with these unions. The latest, the American Quilter's Society will stay in Lancaster, instead of dealing with 30.00 parking, and the bullying of mom and pop vendors. And they draw 30,000.

Trust me, it is a lot worse than just this. They are losing money hand over fist, that Convention Center.

Perhaps you can travel the extra hour or so and attend the Baltimore show - now that's a more crowded show!

I may try that, problem is, I'm basically a country boy and hate driving in cities, so I use the local busing co. to go there. For Philly and NY they have all day runs that I can catch whenever I'm ready to go, which they don't have for Baltimore. I'd only have a one time pick up there, if I miss that I'm stuck. Maybe a NY show.........

Thanks all for the compliments. I got everything I went there looking for so I'm a happy camper right now. :grin:

The Baltimore show is definitely better to go to.

If you're looking for a good show in the NY/NJ area, try the parsippany show in NJ or the Melville show in NY (though parsippany is far bigger/better). There's also a show in old bridge NJ but it is tiny and mostly boring.

Parsippany is first Sunday of every month, Melville 2nd & 4th Sundays, old bridge is on the 3rd Sunday of the month.

To the baltimore show, I'll be taking the bus myself this year. I'm in NYC, here there are about 15 buses departing/returning a day from manhattan to Baltimore, through PeterPan or Greyhound buses. My friend took that bus last year and it takes between 3:45 hours (express) to 4:45 hours (regular), and $55 or so for a round trip. Pretty convenient. It's a long ride but the new GH buses have free wifi and also outlets on the back of the seats so you can bring a tablet or a laptop and watch a movie or something..

Where are you located?

I'm in the Reading, Pa. area. The local coin club does have bi-annual shows, though small shows. I'm just not much of a traveler, heck I'm lucky to get out of the county more than a few times a year. The Philly show was my big day out! I may try the Baltimore show, depending how close it is to the harbor (bus drop off). Thanks for all the suggestions! :grin:

I found Baltimore to be exceptionally easy to drive to. Parked around the back in some hotel or something, cut through the hotel and over an outdoor plaza to get to the convention center. It was about a 5 minute walk, and parking was $15 as opposed to the $20 I paid in Philly. Plus the wife loved being able to walk around the harbor while I got buried in stacks of coins.

Still, with no large US coin shows in NYC or Philly, that opens a pretty big window in major, major population centers. Wouldn't be surprised to see somebody try to do a major show somewhere in the suburbs or something where costs are less.

yonico,

I've taken the train to Baltimore and it's easy to get from Baltimore Penn Station to the Convention Center. I've taken Light Rail, but I understand there's a free bus now.

How close is the bus station to the Convention Center and is it easy to get from one to the other?

Also, what's the neighborhood like around the bus station - especially in the evening?

yonico,

I've taken the train to Baltimore and it's easy to get from Baltimore Penn Station to the Convention Center. I've taken Light Rail, but I understand there's a free bus now.

How close is the bus station to the Convention Center and is it easy to get from one to the other?

Also, what's the neighborhood like around the bus station - especially in the evening?

Thanks!

I am taking public transportation there for the first time this year, so I don't know how close it is to the convention center , or if its safe there at night (but like I said, my friend did it last year, he says it was pretty convenient with the bus). I'll ask.

I'm gonna check the trains too, now.

I'm planning on going early Friday, spend the day there, and return the same day.