• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What should I do ?? You veterans of bodybags....

What should I do ?? My first raw coin submission was bagged for cleaning ???  

42 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do ?? My first raw coin submission was bagged for cleaning ???

16 posts in this topic

Can't vote unless I see the coin Johnny! But! I have had three coins BB'd and ran them through another service only to be slabbed and appropriately graded. In all cases, I genuinely believed the coins were not cleaned or otherwise problematic. Your call.

Hoot

I would send the coin to NCS to see what they can do. It is a good idea to send a coin to NCS first for their evaluation, it will save on body bags...

I'd say Ming it compares to your second one pretty well, but mine had more marks on the cheek.

I wish I could scan it but don't have the equipment. The luster is kinda subdued, which isn't unususal for this date...still had a nice cartwheel. My only thought is that maybe they called it overdipped.

This has happened to me and I wondered exactly the same. So I sent them over to ANACS for a try. Two toned Peaces were sent, both BBd by NGC, 1 for harsh cleaning and other for AT. ANACS slabbed both, the harsh cleaning came back MS62 no net grade, the other was Environmental Damage MS60.

So while its not great it's still better then a BB. The MS62 goes into my toned slabbed non-registry collection of just various toned coins and the Environment Damage, well I don't know yet. Maybe I'll dip it and see what happens, since it's only a $30 coin, or I might crack it for an album set someday. Just dunno yet.

I had another returned for AT, which I kinda new was AT, so I just dipped that one and use it as a pocket piece to remind me not to buy AT coins.

I would never sell a coin I knew was AT. Just couldn't do that to someone else.

Good-luck, whatever you decide.

Michael

You have a couple of options.

First you could send it to the other leading grading service to see what they will do with it. I once had an 1838-O half dollar that NGC bodybagged (I thought unfairly) as cleaned. I sent it to PCGS, and they graded it AU-58, which I viewed as the proper grade.

If the coin gets bodybagged by the other service, you can send it to ANACS. They will grade it for sure, but it might get net graded with words to that effect on the holder. I've also seen ANACS net grade (I my opinion) with no comments on the holder.

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the coin. It's easy to put up an attached picture here (check out the bottom of the posting page) if you have a scanner or better still a reasonablely good digital camera.

I sorry you got hastled, but it's one of the good reasons why buying raw coins, if you are unsure of your grading, is not always a good idea.

I sorry you got hastled, but it's one of the good reasons why buying raw coins, if you are unsure of your grading, is not always a good idea.

I don't really feel hassled...I'm more mad and down on myself. I picked this coin out of a couple of examples as being the best of the bunch, and really thought I got a good one...looked at it pretty hard.

Right now, I'm leaning toward ANACS. I'm not a big "slab" advocate, but all my Carsons are either GSA or slabbed, save this one and a F+/VF 1893-CC.

For what it's worth, many of us have been in your situation (been there, done that). I've bought many raw CCs (as well as GSA CCs). But that was in the early to mid 90s, so even if they're AU50-58s, I'm still "whole" due to the popularity of these coins, ie BU prices in those days are AU50-58 prices today. To me CC Morgans with luster are very collectible coins.

Without seeing the coin, it is impossible to tell.

If the coin is cleaned, then pick a service that will grade them. If not, then re$ubmit to PCGS or try NGC.

My own experience is that if one grading service calls it cleaned, the others will as well. This is why I no longer buy raw coins from anyone, unless they are below AU grade. Sorry about this situation although I most of us have some experience in the coin school of hard knocks.

Just the other day I bought a PDS set of magnificently toned matched Booker T. Washington's with the P and D coins graded 66 and the S coin graded 64. After looking at them for quite a while under a 10x binocular microscope I finally spotted two small hairlines on the 64 and it has a very slightly softer strike. To the eye it looks every bit as good as the 66's and even better than a 67 S-Mint coin that I also own.

I am starting to come around to the point of view that you just put together a set based on pure eye appeal and do not worry about the grade. Recent auction results would seem to reinforce the view that techinical grade is a secondary consideration in determining market value.

I agree with you, Chippewa. I've seen some highly graded certified coins that I would have in my collection because they had no eye appeal. When I was building my set of silver commeemorative coins, I discarded a couple of MS-65 graded coins and replaced them with MS-64 pieces because I liked the MS-64s better. To me collecting coins in not worth the effort unless you like the coins you are collecting.