• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Roll Hunting

23 posts in this topic

So I had read about hunting thru nickel rolls bought at banks.

Today I went to our bank and got 6 rolls of nickels.

I know the chance of finding Buffalo nickels is very small so I am wondering what are the coins I should keep if I find any.

Is there a list of what is considered keepers?

If you are also a hunter what do you keep and why?

Thanks for putting up with all the new guy questions.

I tried hunting for coins a few years back. Every weekend I'd go to the bank and pull hundreds of dollars worth of rolls and search. Out of the nickel rolls I found a few really worn buffalo nickels and a few silver war nickels. To me its not worth the effort.

I'd think that anyone who's going through bank rolls of nickels is trying to fill a Whitman blue folder of Jefferson nickels.

You might find some silver War nickels, but other than that, I can't think of anything that would be worth more than face value (unless you're looking for varieties).

edited to add: I'd suggest that, instead of just flailing around (that is, doing without figuring out why first), you figure out what you want do and then do it.

The chance of finding a 1939-D or a 1950-D from a roll or even in change is getting to be almost impossible. To find such a coin, it will have to come from someone who has been holding these years, for years and they enter circulation.

1939-D 3.5 million minted vs say the 1999-P @ 1.2 billion

Which one are you more likely to find in a roll?

Anyways, good luck, it's all in the hunt. Enjoy what you collect, no matter what.

As far as a list of what to look for in the Jefferson series, plug into the 'Coin Facts' free edition and take a look, very helpful to the novice and to the advanced collector.

Coin Facts link, just hit 'esc' (escape) or 'close' to enter the free edition.

I have roll hunted about 10,000 Halves. Not only is it fun but I have had good success, Plus I don't take them back. Most are BU/UN and I keep them in a large pvc free container! Caught 75 Silvers in a box before.

For Silver Half Dollar rolls are best. And banks in working class areas with lots of corner stores. get to know the tellers. They will call you when someone drops off some rolls. Go ahead and tip them...they keep calling. I have 3 regulars.

Ikes are good too. Found that out QUICK. Sending three FEV Friendly eagles in (I think) 1 of them has to be.

Even BU/UN Rolls of Peace and Morgans from online dealers they have too much product to variety search.

Junk Silver bag hunting too.

I'm not sure if I hoard or collect! lol.

I would say halfs or Ikes cause you can get them dollar for dollar. But after the pull below i might change my tune,

If any one wants to take a shot at grading the 1886 Repunched Date I just found I posted it in "spare a grade" Nice find Red Book (I know it's inflated) but has it at $5000 in MS60. Rare Catch! In fact it could be my biggest find ever. 40 dollar coin...

Lot's of fun with my son too.

Happy Hunting

Jon

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

As an alternative to Coin Facts, you may want to try NGC's own Coin Explorer:

http://www.ngccoin.com/NGCCoinExplorer/SubCategory.aspx?SubCatID=25&PopSubCat=us-jefferson-five-cents

http://www.ngccoin.com/NGCCoinExplorer/SubCategory.aspx?SubCatID=25&PopSubCat=us-jefferson-five-cents

Snap.. :banana:

Take that, Mr. Woody :whee::foryou:

In looking at some entries on both, Coin Explorer seems to be more accurate and have better content. Both are good, but each has a somewhat different focus.

Snap.. :banana:

Take that, Mr. Woody :whee::foryou:

I now have this web page book marked for reference...glad to see it come up on it's own web site, Mr. Lange, you sir have my apology.

If you just want some fun with your kids try some penny rolls ... they frequently have wheat cents in them that must be coming out of old Whitmans with an occasional Roosevelt dime or foreign copper to boot. Not a lot of value to be found, but the time spent together with your kids is well worth it.

If you just want some fun with your kids try some penny rolls ... they frequently have wheat cents in them that must be coming out of old Whitmans with an occasional Roosevelt dime or foreign copper to boot. Not a lot of value to be found, but the time spent together with your kids is well worth it.

I agree. Penny rolls can be really cool. Wheat cents an occassional Indian will appear and so many varieties - 72 DDO, 83 DDR, 84 DDO, 92-D Close AM, 98-00 Wide AM and many more... Some of these will command a pretty nice premium and are fun finds.

It's a quick, cheap way to stay immersed in the hobby.

I'd think that anyone who's going through bank rolls of nickels is trying to fill a Whitman blue folder of Jefferson nickels.

You might find some silver War nickels, but other than that, I can't think of anything that would be worth more than face value (unless you're looking for varieties).

edited to add: I'd suggest that, instead of just flailing around (that is, doing without figuring out why first), you figure out what you want do and then do it.

Oh I know what it is I want.

And that is a complete set of Buffalo Nickels.

I just thought that roll hunting would be fun.

None of my kids would enjoy this.

You must be doing something wrong :baiting:

You must be doing something wrong :baiting:

They are all over 18 and rarely home.

I routinely hunt Jefferson's. I find a few buffalo's in the wild, but they are few and far between. Some have been VF+ but for the most part they are dateless culls.

I find that I enjoy trying to fill Whitman albums. I have completed two this way and I have several going currently. I have an AU set that I am most proud of, an EF set and several VF sets. Yes, the 39D and 50D are the hardest to find, but not impossible. You can even find board members that might swap around to fill their books for some of their better dates. Its just for a hobby and it only costs me what I keep out of the rolls. The AU+ coins are the ones I enjoy pulling out of rolls. You never know what you will find!

I always search my change I get back, but I gave up on the coin roll hunting. Time invested did not equal the pay return.

Although, I did build some nice Whitman folders when I first got into the hobby, thats one upside to roll hunting.

I always kept anything Pre-1960...not particular reason, just liked to. I would also build rolls of nice coins I could easily find. Typically with in 2 years of current are worth building BU rolls