• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Registry Quality?

14 posts in this topic

I see this term used often and my question; Is there a set grade that is a cut off for a coin to be considered 'Registry Quality' or does it only refer to 'Top Pop' coins?

Thanks

I personally don't believe that a registry set necessarily has to have top pop coins in it. Not everyone has deep enough pockets to accomplish that. My current endeavor is the Jefferson Nickel series in full step. I try to find those coins that are solidly graded and in my price range with good eye appeal.

To me registry quality has a "wow" factor that sets it apart from its mundane companions. If I had to qualify the aforementioned statement I would say the coin would have to be at the highend of the grading scale for its paticular grade (ie- MS67 A or B not C) or toning so spectacular that it is a "must have coin".

The great thing about the registry to me is to look at coins that I can only dream of owning due to their prices. I just wish all of the top sets would add pictures. Unless pictures are added, it is about the number on the slab, not the coin and yes I am guilty of this as not all my coins are imaged but I hope to rectify that by year end.

Doug

It depends on the series. For classic rarities it could mean gem 65 but for moderns it could mean MS 67 all the way to MS 70. This also includes special attributions like FT, FBL etc. etc.

Usually the text is used loosely and as a sales gimmick. The coin will speak for itself for serious collectors who would care about a registry set. JMO.

Usually the text is used loosely and as a sales gimmick. The coin will speak for itself for serious collectors who would care about a registry set. JMO.

...and for serious collectors who don't care about a registry set.... :foryou:

following many offering "registry quality" slabbed coins for sale within the last 5+ years

based on my experiences it is a huge, negative turn off.............

why??

the offered "registry quality" slabbed coin is a coin that is average to below average in terms of eye appeal and grade

and many times; not all of the time;;;;;;; but more often than not

the slab tag makes up most all of the demand as the coin raw in a 2x2 is worth significantly LESS

Usually the text is used loosely and as a sales gimmick.

Well that is exactly what I was thinking today as well. Nothing more than a loosely used word to elicit impulse buys/bids.

I see that quite often on HA and it seems arbitrary in the manner in which it is used.

Thanks for the opinions.

Bill

I remember viewing a top registry set of Walkers (it might even have been the top set at the time) in a Heritage auction at Long Beach. It was one of the most dull sets I'd seen before. For example, it didn't come close to Pryor's set that auctioned a number of years before. Since then I don't pay much attention to "registry" boasting...as "grade" is not necessarily the same as "quality".

jom

I remember viewing a top registry set of Walkers (it might even have been the top set at the time) in a Heritage auction at Long Beach. It was one of the most dull sets I'd seen before. For example, it didn't come close to Pryor's set that auctioned a number of years before. Since then I don't pay much attention to "registry" boasting...as "grade" is not necessarily the same as "quality".

jom

This is really true.

Quality is more important than anything else.

When people look at a set, they should appreciate what they see and not care what 'rank' it is, b/c that matters NOT with regard to the overall quality.

I use the term on some of my E-Bay listings. It is not a sales gimmick, rather a search tool. If you don't include it in your listing title, your coin will not appear when a buyer does a key word search looking for "registry" coins. As an E-Bay seller, I use the term for exposure and let my images of the coin do the rest.

Well since any slabbed coin can be entered into a registry set, even problem coins, then any slabbed coin qualifies as "Registry Quality". So it is a sales gimmick. Sure some people only use it when they really do have top end coins for sale, but it can also just be a search tool to get your auction noticed. And since every slabbed PCGS and NGC slab is a "registry quality" coin it isn't even keyword spamming.

I would expect it to be different for $2.50 Indian Gold vs Modern Commem Dollars. For the mods I would think MS 70 would define registry quality. For classic coins, a lower grade (2-4 points) would most likely be the reality.

I have seen the term used loosely. For me it would be a coin in the highest grade registered for that issue by that TPG.