• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Latest Lincoln Cent

11 posts in this topic

for my 20th Century Type Set

Howdy Friends,

I just received an upgrade coin for my 20th Century Type Set, a 1955 S MS67RD NGC Top Pop Lincoln Wheat cent which is the first mint state wheat cent in my collection. I started photographing it right away and put a presentation together then tried to register it. Unfortunately the coin is still registered to a prior owner so I'll have to wait a bit longer for it to show up in my set.

Some notable facts about this coin are its Top Pop condition, low mintage,and being the last wheat cent struck at the Old San Francisco Mint that make this coin a wonderful addition to my type set.

Happy Collecting!

Larry

14290.jpg

See more journals by Merlin8*

Great looking coin, but I'm partial to the series so thats should not be a shocker. Also some good reasons for choosing that date, plus thay are plentiful(over 2500 ms67's at NGC alone) which makes it a very affordable coin even in this lofty grade.

Great looking coin, but I'm partial to the series so thats should not be a shocker. Also some good reasons for choosing that date, plus thay are plentiful(over 2500 ms67's at NGC alone) which makes it a very affordable coin even in this lofty grade.

Chris,

In 1955 all s mint coins were tough on the east coast and the 55S was the toughest, coin dealers were asking $1.00 when they first came out and to a kid that was more money than could be had. I think the average wage was around 50-75 cents an hour for a starting job. Everybody that had anyone going to California had people picking up rolls of cents and Roosevelt dimes.

Coinbuf,

Yes, apparently, there was a very short release period for this coin and it was hoarded in large numbers, being the last SF wheat and as a result there is a large pool of high grade coins available for todays collectors. 10,145 coins have been submitted to NGC and 9,972 have garnered the RED designation 2,688 in MS67RD.

Larry

Yes horded in very large numbers due to the end of penny production at the SF mint, its actually quite amazing that given the large number of 67's that not one has made it to 68 yet.

Wheat, I suspect that the fact it was horded so quickly had alot to do with the high prices and lack of availibilty outside of the west coast.