• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone interested in helping to form "Society of Sample Slab Collectors"

27 posts in this topic

In another thread here you just said

. . .

Try collecting coins and not slabs (just a suggestion!) might make you a happier camper.

And yes, you can collect anything you want, and yes everything is collectible, however what would you think about someone who collected fecal samples in little jars? Cat poop, bat poop, gnat poop....wanna see my collection? Uh, probably not.

Would I cross the street to see a collection of sample slabs? I'd probably want to see the poop collection first.

. . .

and also

. . .

(By the way, I'm not trying to make fun of you; I'm just trying to make fun of what you collect. And, don't worry, I'm pretty sure I've done way more dumb things than you and I certainly have done things dumber than collecting sample slabs. Incidentally, I think collecting anything by die variety is almost as dumb as collecting sample slabs. People disagree with me all the time, feel free to join the crowd.)

. . .

So what's your agenda here?

FWIW I find Sample Slabs and the evolution of the slab itself as an interesting area of study.

My agenda is in finding out how many people are "into" collecting sample slabs. Finding out how many people would be interested in forming a society is one way to measure interest in sample slab collecting.

Since I got into the discussion you quoted from, I thought I would educate myself about how many sample slab collectors there are out there. If there were more than I had assumed (three maybe?) then I wanted to know. Besides, if I'm wrong, this thread could have been one for all the sample slab collectors to get together on forming a group, if there enough.

My agenda is in finding out how many people are "into" collecting sample slabs. Finding out how many people would be interested in forming a society is one way to measure interest in sample slab collecting.

Since I got into the discussion you quoted from, I thought I would educate myself about how many sample slab collectors there are out there. If there were more than I had assumed (three maybe?) then I wanted to know. Besides, if I'm wrong, this thread could have been one for all the sample slab collectors to get together on forming a group, if there enough.

you can just look up sales history on ebay for sample slabs and see how many bids were placed on them, by how many different bidders.

the fact that a sample slab with an MS63 common date morgan (value ~$50) sells regularly for $125-$200 indicates that there's enough interest in these from enough collectors. at least enough for a 250%+ premium to be paid.

also,

how many u.s coins & paper money issues were produced for general circulation and business, and are collected and certified and traded all day long?

can you really say all things people collect were meant to be collected?

"Business strike is a term that distinguishes coins created for commerce from commemorative coins and proof coins. Regular issue coins are normally produced in relatively large numbers, and are primarily meant to be used as pocket change, not collected. Business Strike is the technical term for regular issue coinage."

the PCGS Doily and regency holders and the black NGC holder and NGC 2.0 & 2.1 - they made to just securely hold a coin, not to be collected as slabs? still, you can buy a coin for $50, but if it was slabbed in a 1st gen. black NGC holder some (very advanced) coin collectors will be paying big money for them

A lot of stuff is created by people wanting to make a buck off of people who want to collect collectibles. No one eats off a NASCAR plate (or makes money investing in them, I presume).

How do you know that the demand and premiums paid by all those supposed collectors for sample slabs are not actually just speculators all hoping to sell them to you?

(insert winkie here)

In all seriousness, how many sample slab collectors do you think there are?

How do you know that the demand and premiums paid by all those supposed collectors for sample slabs are not actually just speculators all hoping to sell them to you?

to make profit on anything, there has to be demand for it, right?

believe me, i do not buy THAT many.

if these all are bought to make profit on flipping them, there must be a strong market for samples......

I don't collect them but I have a couple. I think they are pretty cool and I think that the TPG's must think they are pretty original also to use them for promotional advertising. If you are a true numismatist, I would think that anything coin related would be collectible. My step-dad collects a lot of those painted/enameled coins, to me they mean nothing, but to him they are his collection. It doesn't mean I would demeanor him because of what he collects. I guess some people can just be blind-sighted from the enjoyment of the hobby itself. JMO

I think that if you have an opinion about something that might help someone or a bystander, you should share it.

How many people have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into the wrong coins only to find out after forty years of collecting, that their assumption that they were making good "investments" was mistaken?

Buying mint sheets, plate blocks and single stamps from the post office is another example of what might be a big waste of time and money.

However, if someone is collecting something, and they're not ignorant about what they are doing (like they're buying plate blocks or sample slabs for fun), then that is a different story.

As far as demeaning someone, I was really trying to tease and not demean. There's a fine line and I hope I didn't cross it.

I hope people realize free opinions shouldn't be taken too seriously.

I think that if you have an opinion about something that might help someone or a bystander, you should share it.

How many people have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into the wrong coins only to find out after forty years of collecting, that their assumption that they were making good "investments" was mistaken?

Buying mint sheets, plate blocks and single stamps from the post office is another example of what might be a big waste of time and money.

However, if someone is collecting something, and they're not ignorant about what they are doing (like they're buying plate blocks or sample slabs for fun), then that is a different story.

As far as demeaning someone, I was really trying to tease and not demean. There's a fine line and I hope I didn't cross it.

I guess my perception of your posts in the other thread made me see this one as being demeaning to those that don't collect the way that you might think people should collect. If I took you wrong, I apologize! Have a Great and Safe Labor Day Wknd!!

Hi, Mr. Anaconda :hi: :hi:

Your back to being your own illogical self and causing trouble again, I see.

As a friendly gesture in helping you in your pursuit of the number of sample slab collectors, are you including world wide or just continental U.S?

Also, again in the spirit of helpfulness, should children be included?

Oh, and I almost forgot....... :foryou:

I don't collect sample slabs but do collect third party slabs that are fairly rare and slabs from companies that are no longer in business such as: Accugrade, Compugrade, DGS, Hallmark, NCI, PCI, and others.

I have been acquiring cent only sample slabs for a short time. They seem to fit my interest in copper coinage. Overall a very small percentage of my total copper collection is slabbed. None the less it is a side line to my core collection that I enjoy.

And obviously I collect Sample slabs along with all the other slab varieties.

And a couple years ago when the Sampleslabs.com website disappeared there were at least a half dozen of us that immediately started taking steps to have it restored.

I'd actually like to see a Sample Slab collectors group formed to provide a central data collection point for variety information on all the Sample slab varieties that are out there.

And obviously I collect Sample slabs along with all the other slab varieties.

And a couple years ago when the Sampleslabs.com website disappeared there were at least a half dozen of us that immediately started taking steps to have it restored.

I'd actually like to see a Sample Slab collectors group formed to provide a central data collection point for variety information on all the Sample slab varieties that are out there.

btw Enjoyed our chat at lunch at ANA.

Here is an unusual sample slab. I believe it to be the only sample from this company.

1955-S1CMNSSample_zps9d1e5204.jpg

Thats pretty neat Pennyguy. I wonder, looking at the numbers, if there were only 50 of those also.

Thanks bss, The owner of MNS made that Sample for me, using my coin, just before he moved the business to Florida. Note the label error, the coin is an S mint.

Hi, Mr. Anaconda :hi: :hi:

Your back to being your own illogical self and causing trouble again, I see.

As a friendly gesture in helping you in your pursuit of the number of sample slab collectors, are you including world wide or just continental U.S?

Also, again in the spirit of helpfulness, should children be included?

Oh, and I almost forgot....... :foryou:

Me; illogical? I have never been called that before.

Causing trouble? Not at all. Just a little teasing and an attempt to stimulate conversation. I am a student of human behavior and when I see something that doesn't make sense to me, I posit my thoughts, make an argument and open my mind to what others have to say. While I am not about to start collecting sample slabs, I did find the sampleslabs.com website to be interesting as well as the arguments put forth by others who collect sample slabs.

Also, I am surprised by the number of people who are interested in sample slabs.

Yes, young people should be welcomed into any healthy group or organization.

Now, ya'll go ahead and start that organization.

Are there enough collectors of sample slabs to form a society? I know there are a few very dedicated people who collect them, but enough for a whole club?

That's kinda what I thought. How many collectors of sample slabs do you think there are?

and how many dont we know about? maybe one could start a list and see how many would be interested? fwiw

Here is an unusual sample slab. I believe it to be the only sample from this company.

I don't think so, I believe I have one from them from before they dropped the first M from their name and began using the MNS stickers. The name was originally Michigan Masters Numismatic Service (Notice they are still using their old supply of shells labeled MMNS.) When they moved to Florida they dropped the first M and started adding the MNS stickers.

I don't think so, I believe I have one from them from before they dropped the first M from their name and began using the MNS stickers. The name was originally Michigan Masters Numismatic Service (Notice they are still using their old supply of shells labeled MMNS.) When they moved to Florida they dropped the first M and started adding the MNS stickers.

Conder,

When you get a chance check to see if you have one. At Bob's last visit to a small local show in Michigan before he moved he told me that he had never done one before.

Thanks

I have been collecting samplabs for 8 or so years now and have really enjoyed the chase. The prices are all over for them.