• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC's re-used same serial numbers (in sample slabs only) - WITH PICS

8 posts in this topic

OK let me start off by saying this post is for fun only.

I'm collecting sample slabs and once on one of my posts i've asked a question about sample slabs being issued with the same serial number more than once. i've got some helpful info (thanks conder101) and then some commented on how it's impossible, and that NGC never issued two slabs with the exact same serial number + slab number etc..

well, when i'm trying to enter my sample slabs' serial numbers to the coin collection manager, often they come out as different denomination/date, for example a 1923 peace $ will show up as a 1964-D 10c etc.. (by the way i wanna thank Alison from the NGC REGISTRY customer service for helping me with these issues so quickly!). this shows you that the same serial numbers were used twice (at least) and recorded once, probably the first out of the two to be slabbed. i know these are SAMPLE slabs, and they didn't really even have to keep record of the ones issued.. it's just fun

it has become a fun thing for me, as now when i'm looking for sample slabs i'm looking not only at the slab type, and serial number - but also at the slab number, to try and find a match to the ones i already have.

so to settle the issue, NGC most definitely used the same serial numbers more than once, but they did so only on sample slabs.

i currently own 3 pairs of these that have the exact same serial number and slab number:

IMG_5693_zps7f33a6cc.jpg

IMG_5697_zpsc85fe5a9.jpg

11111_zps7bf74959.jpg

I don't know if this is a dupe, but seeings how you collect them, just wanted to show you one I picked up a few yrs ago. I think sample slabs are pretty cool!

IMG_5449.jpg

..NGC most definitely used the same serial numbers more than once,..

I wouldn't be so sure! Have you considered the possibility that one of those duplicate ID numbers is actually a Chinese counterfeit, the type of which we see on Ebay?

:D

;)

..NGC most definitely used the same serial numbers more than once,..

I wouldn't be so sure! Have you considered the possibility that one of those duplicate ID numbers is actually a Chinese counterfeit, the type of which we see on Ebay?

:D

;)

HAHAHAHAHA I think I broke a key or two on my keyboard before I noticed the smiley faces at the bottom of your comment.

i noticed this 13+ years ago myself when i had over 100+ all gotten free from dealers

but this is a good catch

i guess being a sample it is just that not too important so rather than waste numbes for a sample

they just kept many the same when they made a big batch of them with the same generation slab grade or not and same coin and type hopefully the same date run

but 15 20 years ago no one really knew let alone cared

today they are and more then enough command bigger and bigger growing prices there are some worth/sold for a couple of hundred or more