• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Good news,bad news,good news

9 posts in this topic

My latest coin purchase ( a stolen coin )

The good news, I found a 1833 Capped Bust quarter on ebay last week so I bid on it and won. I checked the cert number on PCGS and saw that it was registered to someone there. I sent them an email requesting them to remove it from their set. The bad news, this morning I received an email from the Fresno police department stating that the coin was reported stolen. The good news, the original owner is getting their coin back, and that makes me happy

I know a lot of people don't like slabs or the whole registry game, but without those cert numbers on the slab and having it registered this person would probably never have recovered this coin

See more journals by jayman1970

Agree with Jack. I don't think I would be upset about returning the coin to the rightful owner. I know how much time and effort I put into my collection, which makes it tough to even think about some scumbag stealing it. I'm sure the stolen coins were pawned for quick cash, so hopefully law enforcement can use the pawn documents to track down the thief.

Good point with your registry comment. I never thought about the registry as a way to recover stolen coins.

Great story, and I hope you find another 1833 Capped Bust quarter!

I feel for you there Jayman. Sorry it ended bad for you but nice to hear that a stolen coin will be recovered.

I also wondered if another would be able to enter the same cert number. I bought This Coin and either 1 of 3 things has happened to the coin and I listed them in my registry for that coin at the link. I will not give up. I entered the coin even though I bought it on the 9th and it has yet to arrive and the seller says that he has checked with the PO and still nothing in the tracking.

I can't imagine that the local Sheriffs Department would be to useful in my case since I have never physically had the coin in my possession. I guess I will just have to wait this one out and see what happens along with coin number 2 that I bought but the seller seems to have mysteriously misplaced it.

I really appreciate the integrity of coin collectors as a whole. Jason I know that should I enter an agreement to buy, sell, or trade coins with you, I won't give it a second thought as to whether the deal is on the up and up. That means a lot to me and I know it does to you too. All the best.

Gary