• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1921 Peace UPDATE: NGC Grade in 1st Post

17 posts in this topic

I agree with AU and a decent album coin. It might be in need of an acetone bath. Not sure what's going on with the surfaces especially the obverse.

Thanks for all the comments so far. I'm in the low end AU camp and would still be satisfied at XF, but don't have it in hand as of yet so all I can go by as well are the photographs.

What attracted me to this coin is the seemingly original skin and what I hope is battleship grey mottled toning. Many of you won't, but I rather like the look of this coin. To me it seems 90% of the raw '21 Peace Dollars I've encountered have been well abused with cleaning and polishing.

I feel somewhat safe from the Environmental Damage aspect as the coin was sold by Will Robins of Goldeneye Numismatics (yankeecoin)

-D

AU sharpness with a chance that it will not get a grade.

The coin appears to have been dipped, and then stored in an envelope that was not sulfur free. The chemicals in the envelope attacked the coin giving it an odd mottled appearance. I think the coin could end up in an "environmental damage" marked slab.

It's not worth sending in IMO.

The appearance of the coin in the slab is far different from the one in the initial photos. The first photos made the coin look dipped out with deep tarnish that had etched its way into the surface of the coin. The second photo shows a coin that is deeply toned in a natural way, but not damaged from an attempt to dip it and make it look bright. Those photos provide a possible glimpse into what this coin would look like if it were to be dipped.

This shows why grading and buying coins from photos involves so much guess work. The best you can do is provide an educated opinion, but nothing beats seeing the piece in person. A picture might be better than a thousand words, but it can also tell lots of lies for reasons that range from differing photographing techniques to photo manipulation, which is sometimes called "juicing."

The appearance of the coin in the slab is far different from the one in the initial photos. The first photos made the coin look dipped out with deep tarnish that had etched its way into the surface of the coin. The second photo shows a coin that is deeply toned in a natural way...

This shows why grading and buying coins from photos involves so much guess work. The best you can do is provide an educated opinion, but nothing beats seeing the piece in person. A picture might be better than a thousand words, but it can also tell lots of lies for reasons that range from differing photographing techniques to photo manipulation, which is sometimes called "juicing."

+1