• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinion on Eisenhowers grading. market.

17 posts in this topic

I was talking to a favorite bank teller of mine who lets me know when some rolls come in that may be of some interest. Anyway, She said someone dropped off some Eisenhower Dollar rolls.

I was depositing a paycheck so I grabbed the Ikes just to take a look 387 to be exact. I never fooled with Ikes but I grabbed them anyway.

I don't know much about them other than these almost all are uncirculated about 50% non problem coins the rest with a fleck of black here or there. I planned on just putting them away for my kid.

I did see some interesting info on the Ikes. Varieties, etc. Not many grade high, I see some in high grade holders that are on par with these don't see them auctioning though (maybe I'm wrong). Just in short sampling I caught a couple ddr's. varieties, Are these worth putting some effort into now. Or just waiting? And opinion on condition would be appreciated.

Did I Bring home 387 dollars or do I have something here?

Ike collectors? Any opinions?

Camera and lighting is pretty spot on. Most have a luster but it's a greyish luster even blue-grey. Most dates and MM a heavy portion are 71's and 72's.

Gonna have to read up on pictures. Oh well. Maybe Ill figure it out soon. The cam takes flawless pics. Anyway are Ikes worth grabbing? I guess would be my final thought in MS condition even though they show luster but it is grayish-blue hue?

Dollar for dollar a good grab?

It's hard to tell with the blurry pixelated mages, but they look AUish to me. As clad coins, they aren't really worth much over face value (if you could find someone willing to pay you any premium at all).

Edited to add: You mention DDRs and other varieties; my comments pertain only to generic Ikes. I do not collect Ike varieties, so I cannot advise you on the values of those, but I would guess that minor varieties have little if no premium. I would certainly post any pictures of any varieties that you come across.

Thanks man. Appreciate the response I have been collecting for some time now. Ikes are ugly to me. I can tell from macro that most are pretty much all are UNC though. High points are there and fields are clean except some bag marks. They are kind of a goofy run from what I have read hard coin to strike they had a lot of problems weak strikes, switched dies, broken dies. which gave them a lot of variety.

So few have ever graded high and the ones that have most pretty ugly except the proofs and the a some 40% silvers.

And the almost across the board grey tone. You are right though they are not a pretty coin. I will post a picture of a good 1976 ddr. Got to get some sleep. Picking up the coins was easy figuring a quick way to post a picture....uggg.

Thanks again.

When I read your eBay listing, I saw 1971 and 1972 Denver minted coins. I did not see the part about Philadelphia minted coins. Keep your eyes pealed for a Type 2, 1972-P Ike. If you find one of those, yes it would be worth a nice premium over face in even mid grade uncirculated condition.

87409_37658553_225.jpg

Large Image

Good night! ;)

I don't know much about Ike's but I have seen a lot about the "Friendly Eagle" variety. Do a search on that, might be a fun variety to look for and hopefully find.

for anyone interested I bought 2 Ike books. One by the guy the started the variety craze.

Just for fun these are the first 2 uncirculated 1971-D's out of 65 I pulled out. Definitely a different die. Fonts are off. I think the left is a FE.

Have them sorted and ready to go.

Any thoughts on the variety and grade?

http://s1022.photobucket.com/user/Badactor67/media/1971-DdieVarieties_zps602976f6.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

You guys are great!

Jon

grading from pics is difficult

grading from one side of coin pics is not possible, as other side may be damaged

the coin on left is the 71-d FEV or RDV-06

(friendly eagle variety or reverse die variety - 06)

coin on right has many rim edge nicks / hits and may be AU

IKES are like state quarters, in 100 years they may be worth more than face

-unless they are very nice

I used to buy BU rolls for not much over face (never double) and spent the average junky coins

fast food workers and strippers seem to like them

grading from pics is difficult

grading from one side of coin pics is not possible, as other side may be damaged

the coin on left is the 71-d FEV or RDV-06

(friendly eagle variety or reverse die variety - 06)

coin on right has many rim edge nicks / hits and may be AU

IKES are like state quarters, in 100 years they may be worth more than face

-unless they are very nice

I used to buy BU rolls for not much over face (never double) and spent the average junky coins

fast food workers and strippers seem to like them

I'm curious. Exactly where do strippers put Ike's? :baiting:

Carl