• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lucky ebay purchase - NEWP + PICS posted (1942 25c NGC PF67)

21 posts in this topic

I like to buy coins on ebay with blurry/bad pics but seem to have potential.. sometimes i get lucky.

this is my last purchase:

22_zps9728e0ad.png

the title read "NGC MS66" instead of " NGC MS66+* " (how do you miss BOTH star AND plus..??) - i figured it will draw less attention, good for me..

this is the obverse pics from the auction listing (was described as "coin has heavy toning"):

T2eC16hHJHcFFkLlvw53BSBBqFkDTw60_57_zps74bf0b8c.jpg

i got the coin today. it is BEAUTIFUL! and doesnt look much like the seller's pics. I cannot take a good pic of a toned coin, but this coin SHINES with color. i know 1958-D coins are very common with color, but this is special. the star was well deserved. I LOVE IT!

here are my attempts in capturing the color:

IMG_5748_zpsee5a5954.jpg

IMG_5751_zpsae81944b.jpg

IMG_5745_zps10fbca12.jpg

Now waiting for round 2.. hope it's as good as this one ^

this one is on the way:

UPDATE, NEW PICS OF THIS COIN IN LAST POST

692258256_o_zps469debce.jpg

I was watching that one too and thinking the same thing, no plus or star in the description would keep the traffic down on this coin. I decide to buy a 1833 CBQ instead. You got a good deal on a great looking Washington, Congrats

Jason

Heritage is well known for having terrible pictures. Based on my purchases from them, the coin in hand looks about like I would have expected from those pictures.

Heritage seems to have three tiers of pictures - the abysmal scans like these pictures, mediocre photos that look like they came from an assembly line, and then sometimes they have good photos, for their featured lots. I guess its probably a budget thing, but it would seem like they are leaving a lot of money on the table by having such awful photos (not to mention it discourages people from consigning).

I am somewhat surprised by the rookie mistake of not including the + and *.

no plus or star in the description would keep the traffic down on this coin.

Jason

Exactly why I LOVE these auctions.

Plus, I knew it had to look better to get the star from NGC.

I don't understand why it wouldn't have sold at one of their online auctions. I thought eBay was where they went win it didn't sell otherwise.

Either way, Congrats on a great find Yonico!

Obverse looks great! Does the coin have two sides? hm

I think you probably did well. I'm just hoping the reverse wasn't left out of the photo op because of something funky.

Excellent coins Johnny! I sure would love to see those colors in hand. Great job on the gamble. I wish I had your luck! You want to buy a couple of Powerball tickets for me?? Haha!

Obverse looks great! Does the coin have two sides? hm

I think you probably did well. I'm just hoping the reverse wasn't left out of the photo op because of something funky.

This is the obverse. Didn't include a pic cause I didn't think its relevant. Nothing special here. It's not that dull in hand though. Just your regular MS66 look.

11_zps77dac454.png

Excellent coins Johnny! I sure would love to see those colors in hand. Great job on the gamble. I wish I had your luck! You want to buy a couple of Powerball tickets for me?? Haha!

Hahaha I really hope that 1942 proof is as good a gamble as the 1958-D. It's a tough date in this high grade (I think they're like $20k in PF68, and I don't believe I've ever seen a cameo 1942)

And trust me, I play the powerball every week, still buying just $100 coins lol

#1 My take is that it wasn't smart to omit the plus and the star

#2 I think the coin still sold for what it's worth

#3 I don't see any way in heck that coin is a +....personally I wouldn't grade it an MS66 with that reverse.

#4 I think if auctioned with the plus and the star noted in the title you would make money on the coin simply from a registry standpoint as those add quite a few extra points above a common MS66.

#3 I don't see any way in heck that coin is a +....personally I wouldn't grade it an MS66 with that reverse.

#4 I think if auctioned with the plus and the star noted in the title you would make money on the coin simply from a registry standpoint as those add quite a few extra points above a common MS66.

I fully agree with all 4 points. In addition, I notice to see the real color, it has to be tilted, which IMO, indicates it is a darker coin, head on, Also, is that a gash over the 'I' in IGWT'? If that's a gash, that coin was no bargain, jusy my opinion, no offense intended. As for the '42, I think those spots in front of George's nose will be detrimental to the coin's appearance, and you'll see why, as jpcienkus states, ebay is where their coins that don't sell go. Though, I agree, as I have had the same luck with bad images of some coins.

Thanks Shane.

For me, your #2 and #4 contradict each other. If a coin is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it, and someone (for registry reason, or any other reason) is willing to pay more for it - then to me it's worth more than what I paid for it... When buying this kind of coins on eBay it is for me to re-sell. All I need is to make $$ on it.

As for the reverse, that is (again) the seller's pics, and it does look a little better in hand. I could try to add the reverse pic myself, but as you know, I'm not good with pics (when I need a coin imaged, I sometime send it to you lol ). I do think its possible that NGC bumped it up with a plus for the color, they do that sometimes.

here's my attempt at a pic of the reverse:

IMG_5772_zpsc9aa4112.jpg

In addition, I notice to see the real color, it has to be tilted, which IMO, indicates it is a darker coin, head on

Most toned coins are more colorful (or, show more of their real color) when tilted. when you have the proper equipment (a copy stand, lights), instead of tilting the coin itself, you tilt the lamps so that they shed light on the coin in an angle that shows the color. that's why you sometimes see images of a toned coins where a few sets of pics are posted, to show the color from different angles (i think the coin stays at the same position and the lamps are moved slightly - same effect as holding the coin in hand and tilting it against the light source. i do not know for sure though). i do not have this equipment and i was holding the coin in hand and tilting it against my fluorescent lights, which i find easier to do than tilting the light fixtures on my ceiling lol.

this is an attempt to image my coin head on, no tilting whatsoever. the coin is laying flat on my desk (i used a tripod to keep the camera level):

IMG_5777_zps1363acd8.jpg

Also, is that a gash over the 'I' in IGWT'? If that's a gash, that coin was no bargain, jusy my opinion, no offense intended.

it's not a gash. it looks to me like a break in the toning, just like on the portrait's neck and in front of it's nose.

and no offense taken. i wanted honest opinions on the coin, that's why i posted it here.. i appreciate all comments and opinions

As for the '42, I think those spots in front of George's nose will be detrimental to the coin's appearance, and you'll see why, as jpcienkus states, ebay is where their coins that don't sell go. Though, I agree, as I have had the same luck with bad images of some coins.

A. i cannot really comment on this coin, since i don't have it in hand yet. if I do not like it when it arrives, i would simply send it back for a refund.

B. I think jpcienkus's comment was on Heritage's auctions on ebay. the 1942 quarter was purchased from a different seller, NOT heritage....

Thanks Shane.

For me, your #2 and #4 contradict each other. If a coin is only worth what someone's willing to pay for it, and someone (for registry reason, or any other reason) is willing to pay more for it - then to me it's worth more than what I paid for it... When buying this kind of coins on eBay it is for me to re-sell. All I need is to make $$ on it.

Let me clarify...an MS66 of that date with that color can easily be had for $40 so you paying double for a half point and a star means that you paid what the coin should be worth...I don't see the coin as being anything special for the date. The fact that people will ignore the coin and pay up for the plus and star ..which you would obviously include in the title is why I believe it would sell for more the second time around.

I have been around long enough to know that what someone is willing to pay doesn't necessarily have anything to do with market value. Their are plenty of folks with deep pockets who routinely pay multiples of what a coin is truly worth just to get it and if I had unlimited cash resources I might do the same.

To further illustrate my point that what someone is willing to pay is not always indicative of what the coin is worth.

A few years ago I sold a PCGS graded 1957 MS66FBL Franklin half on Ebay, the toning was pleasant but was anything but monster rainbow. The coin pulled what I felt was a strong price at the time $410. The buyer got the coin and decided he didn't like it and he returned it. I was slightly surprised as the coin was nice but since I felt he paid a strong price I figured it was a simple case of buyers remorse. I relisted the coin a short time later and it sold for $1500, the 2nd buyer was happy with the coin and kept it. So just because buyer #2 was willing to pay $1500 doesn't in any way shape or form make it a $1500 coin...that was the point I was trying to make.

Now waiting for round 2.. hope it's as good as this one ^

this one is on the way:

692258256_o_zps469debce.jpg

just got this coin. this has got to be the best coin under $200 that i bought this year..

very clean and nice mirrors (can't get all the detail in pics) and it's got some beautiful color on the rims

IMG_5868_zpsc1775a69.jpg

IMG_5864_zpsaf4e577e.jpg

IMG_5869_zps6365d771.jpg

IMG_5862_zpse3129cd8.jpg

IMG_5861_zps7f8200f7.jpg