• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1883-O Morgan Die Rotation

5 posts in this topic

I know I've seen this question posted before, but how far do the obverse and reverse have to be out of alignment before the coin is considered a die rotation? I recently bought a nice, although very dark, morgan with the eagles head at about 10 o'clock when flipped end for end. Is this enough for a premium, or is it wishfull thinking?

• Administrator

That sounds like it would likely be enough for a mint error designation. Rotated dies on Morgan Dollars are not very common.

-Paul

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised to hear that rotated Morgans aren't that common. I would have thought that 120 years ago, the mint wouldn't have had such strict quality control as they do now. Although, after reading about some of the ASE and other proof sets that some memebers have received, the quality control at todays mint sounds terrible. That being said, this one may be a canidate for the submission envelope.

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised to hear that rotated Morgans aren't that common. I would have thought that 120 years ago, the mint wouldn't have had such strict quality control as they do now. Although, after reading about some of the ASE and other proof sets that some memebers have received, the quality control at todays mint sounds terrible. That being said, this one may be a canidate for the submission envelope.

Strict quality control...that's funny. :facepalm: