• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why only NGC graded coins in the new circ sets?

6 posts in this topic

I just noticed yesterday that the new category of circ sets; oft refered to as everyman sets; only allows NGC coins. That is a departure from the standard of allowing pcgs coins to play so I'm just wondering why. To be clear I dont mind the change and it will not affect me at all, just found it to be interesting.

I would imagine the reason is that PCGS only allows their coins and NGC wants to "fight back". Because PCGS has been offering this classification far longer people interested in collecting competitively in this manner have PCGS graded coins. I'm an "oddball" in that I have mostly NGC graded coins.

My Barber Half set is based on circulated coins (most AU) in NGC holders. There are only 2 entries in the Barber Half circulated only category- my set is #1 (by a huge margin). If PCGS entries were included I would be #2 by a small margin. Since there are few collectors of Barber Halves in NGC holders I'll probably remain at the top forever (or until I get them regarded in PCGS holders).

One might think being #1 feels great, but when competing in a field of two it's a very hollow honor. I would like to see the PCGS slabs included in the circulated sets to make for a far more interesting competition.

• Administrator

NGC often receives feedback that it should build more resources for collectors of NGC-certified coins, and the new Circulated Coins Only set types were built with this in mind. NGC and PCGS-certified coins will continue to be accepted in standard US Registry sets.

I made the choice to create a Registry here and not ATS even though I am a member of both but the turn off for me ATS was the fact that they will not allow NGC, or any other TPG in their registry. Hat's off for NGC to accommodate.

Now .... with that being said; if the intent is to foster 'COIN COLLECTING' and not 'SLAB COLLECTING' then for God's sake why not allow the same in the world categories as well. I am so aggravated with having to re-buy a coin in a NGC Holder just so I can include it in the Australian or Canadian sets simply because of the color of my slab! - (Wow! That sounds familiar)

I am going broke here. That means less money to spend on submitting coins among other things. I would leave this issue alone if I was given a legitimate reason why not. All I am ever told is "we do not have any plans to allow PCGS coins in the world registry".

NGC often receives feedback that it should build more resources for collectors of NGC-certified coins, and the new Circulated Coins Only set types were built with this in mind. NGC and PCGS-certified coins will continue to be accepted in standard US Registry sets.

Thanks Ali, while this was my guess it is an interesting move and I hope a big success for NGC. :)