• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Speaking of SEGS

22 posts in this topic

This was in a SEGS 64, and now is a NGC MS63* CAC. It was one of the first coins I bought at a show. Some nice memories there.

1884monster_zps89c7ea94.jpg

And this one was in a SEGS MS65 holder, and now is in a NGC MS65 CAC holder.

302rwr4.jpg

I do like SEGS more than ICG or PCI or even the new ANACS.

Some of the SEGS inserts are informative yet comical.

Years ago SEGS ran a special, something along the lines of $7. per coin (common; U.S.). Every tenth coin was free.

I sent in something like 70 coins and when the dust settled and all were (eventually) sold sort of ended up with a break even.

Come to think of it, I did keep one silver eagle due to the toning. I should try and locate it.

Great holder and the owner/grader (my theory they are one in the same and there is only a single grader! I think his wife answers the phones...)- especially strong on seated material, but is lacking with other series.

The near death of SEGS was right around the time eBay discontinued the selling of SEGS coins with the title expressing the service's name.

I do like SEGS more than ICG or PCI or even the new ANACS.

Some of the SEGS inserts are informative yet comical.

Years ago SEGS ran a special, something along the lines of $7. per coin (common; U.S.). Every tenth coin was free.

I sent in something like 70 coins and when the dust settled and all were (eventually) sold sort of ended up with a break even.

Come to think of it, I did keep one silver eagle due to the toning. I should try and locate it.

Great holder and the owner/grader (my theory they are one in the same and there is only a single grader! I think his wife answers the phones...)- especially strong on seated material, but is lacking with other series.

The near death of SEGS was right around the time eBay discontinued the selling of SEGS coins with the title expressing the service's name.

You brought something up I was actually going to post sometime this week-what is going on with ANACS? I thought they were really gaining steam and recently I've seen some ANACS that make my head scratch. Anecdotal evidence but I do see a pattern.

Seems like ANACS is a nitch player in the coin grading arena. Tough to

compete with the top 2. Both NGC and PCGS have such great websites with

so much to offer. ANACS site pales in comparison. However, at least they

do have one. Hopefully their website will improve. I have never used ANACS

then again I've never used NGC either for grading. Don't have anything

against either but, I seem to get a better deal from PCGS when I infrequently

wanted a coin or coins graded. Got a freebee back in 2008 from PCGS when

they I believe were early into grading specials. Just paid return postage for my

BB.d coin. I've been a prior NGC member. However, PCGS usually grades

my gold quarter eagle indians for an economically better price. No disrespect

NGC: love your websit!

That SEGS holder is still just such an amazing bit of technology. Too bad the other TPGs didn't simply license what SEGS does.

But as to the question, many coins will cross, many more will not. And many will get kicked out with a "details" grade.

But as to the question, many coins will cross, many more will not. And many will get kicked out with a "details" grade.

Will a PCGS or an NGC grade cross to SEGS? Probably the same answer. Will the grade play in the TPG's market, at the TPG's price guide? That's the question, and it's up to the TPG. These market grades aren't written in stone. What's more, and is far too often overlooked, they're very heavily influenced by marketing. One questions that, one hasn't hung out ATS for very long. ATS, even if it's an NGC grade, it's presumptively questionable. That's due to nothing better than the marketing ATS.

That SEGS holder is still just such an amazing bit of technology. Too bad the other TPGs didn't simply license what SEGS does.

Welcome back James. It's been a while. It was nice meeting you at the coin show in Indianapolis last fall. Hope all is well.

What is the tech in the segs holders?

The specific chemical composition of the slab itself, and the engineering which helps make them about the most scratch-resistant holders on the market. And, they are just about indestructible.

I only have NGC graded coins, but I did have ANACS grade a coin a few year back that I have since sold.

I sent it back when I first received it because the holder had a bubble in it...I learned all the new holders have this bubble but the second holder had the bubble in a less conspicuous spot.

Other than the annoying holder bubble, I have no problem with ANACS graded coins. From my novice perspective they seem to offer the most extensive variety grading.

What is the tech in the segs holders?

The specific chemical composition of the slab itself, and the engineering which helps make them about the most scratch-resistant holders on the market. And, they are just about indestructible.

Request to all TGPs.....PLEASE don't copy the SEGS tech. Yes, they are nearly indestructible.

That's the problem. It's nearly impossible to get the coin out of one of them.

The same can be said about crossing NGC and PCGS coins back and forth. Maybe a few less rejects due to being "Details" coins, But if they would be a details coin would you know it? Since they don't crack them out unless they will cross, wouldn't they just come back in the original slab marked DNC?

Now if you cracked them out and sent them in raw, then yes some will probably come back as Details.