• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1923-S MONROE COMMEMORATIVE HALF DOLLAR GEM BU

Slabbed or not   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Slabbed or not

24 posts in this topic

Based on the images, alone, my guess is that the coin could grade anywhere between AU and MS64.

But based on my experience in the coin industry, when someone buys a coin based on an image and thinks he has gotten a bargain, the odds are far, far more likely that he has gotten a bad deal, instead.

Based on the images, alone, my guess is that the coin could grade anywhere between AU and MS64.

But based on my experience in the coin industry, when someone buys a coin based on an image and thinks he has gotten a bargain, the odds are far, far more likely that he has gotten a bad deal, instead.

well lets hope this time its a score !!

some funny stuff going on above and below the date - either die polish, cleaning, or pic manipulation

darker areas on side of face could mean AU

I would value it near $52

edit to add you need to see in hand to decide if grading NGC or not

I keep coming back to this thread over and over again because the photography looks familiar. Is this a Great Southern Coin picture with their logo removed? If it is, to put it politely, I wouldn't count on a mid to high grade mint state grade.

I'd grade it 64, dipped. Value about $200.

what does dipped mean ??? and really you think its worth that much ??

How/why do you buy an uncertified coin off of Ebay, thinking it's under-graded (even though it was described as "gem") and not know what "dipped" means?

It probably will not look anywhere near to what the picture looks like. Picture looks 64 to 65, but the coin you receive will be AU at best. But, you never know, so Good Luck.

Nothing between AU58 and MS64 would surprise me. I hope there are no hidden problems. In any event, even if it grades MS64, put me in the don't have it certified category.

This was my initial thought when I viewed the pic.

The color is strange which leads me to believe it was dipped. Dipped means it was dipped into a chemical solution which not only removes color from the surface it removes a small amount of the metal and when done wrong will destroy luster. The face side looks 64 the country looks AU.

The photo is highly contrasted from what I can tell. And as other people have stated the coin looks dipped...

It may turn out to be good lesson for the buyer....

jom

I keep coming back to this thread over and over again because the photography looks familiar. Is this a Great Southern Coin picture with their logo removed? If it is, to put it politely, I wouldn't count on a mid to high grade mint state grade.

not a great southern coin picture it came from company called ecnumismatics they have 1641 feedback with a 99.9 postive rating !!!

not a great southern coin picture it came from company called ecnumismatics they have 1641 feedback with a 99.9 postive rating !!!

I do not know the seller in question.

However, in case you were not already aware, an excellent feedback score (even 100%) is no assurance that a seller sells accurately described items at reasonable prices. A good many sellers of over-graded coins have wonderful looking feedback. And that's because many of their buyers are unknowledgeable and think they have obtained bargains, when in fact, they have not.

I do not know the seller in question.

However, in case you were not already aware, an excellent feedback score (even 100%) is no assurance that a seller sells accurately described items at reasonable prices. A good many sellers of over-graded coins have wonderful looking feedback. And that's because many of their buyers are unknowledgeable and think they have obtained bargains, when in fact, they have not.

yes i am aware i have spent much time on ebay and know seller who fake items and so on that have sell near 100percent positive feedback !! did notice the fee negatives he got where because the so called BU coins where actually in AU grade so that is not a good sign !!

You just won't know until you get that coin in hand. If it's indeed BU you'll know by looking at the cartwheel and color of the coin. If the luster is impaired it will be pretty obvious. You bought the coin for AU money, you probably got what you paid for.

If it's actually a BU coin you're going to like it a lot since then it's quite valuable (MS 64 is about $180).

Keep us informed, you never know.

$52 and free shipping is not that bad to see if it has been dipped to death. Let us know what you think when you get it in hand. You will or will not see mint luster when rotated under a good light source.

For right now, feel good!

Somewhere between AU and MS61, worth about $40.

I would not buy such a coin off eBay, no way whatsoever. Stick to PCGS or NGC graded Classic Commemoratives. Forget raw coins.

Somewhere between AU and MS61, worth about $40.

I would not buy such a coin off eBay, no way whatsoever. Stick to PCGS or NGC graded Classic Commemoratives. Forget raw coins.

Agree, looks like a dipped coin with impaired luster. All that seller's MS coins appear to be dipped except for the circulated ones (and even some of those appear dipped).

Still not a terrible looking coin compared to some of the others that seller had. If you like it, stick it in an album and let it tone.

The Monroe commemorative half dollar is one of the those issues were it makes little sense to spend a lot of money on the piece unless you want to be at the top of a registry list. The trouble is the design was poorly executed, and the coin has little basic eye appeal. It is not quite as bad as the 1926 Philadelphia Sesquicentennial, but it's close. To me the ideal grade for a really nice commemorative collection is MS-64. Otherwise low end Mint State is okay for a nice representative set.

At the beginning of this string you stated that you thought that this piece was "Gem Uncirculated" which translates in the grading numbers to MS-65 or higher. I have never seen a coin, that was obviously dipped get a grade any higher than MS-64.

What do I mean about obviously dipped? It means that given the coin's age and circumstances surrounding its distribution and storage patterns, chances are there is little chance that a silver coin that is 80 or more years will be naturally bright white. "Obviously dipped" can also apply to coins that have impaired luster, or luster that does not match up with original mint luster. The largest exceptions are many issues of the Morgan dollar because those pieces were stored in bags in treasury vaults for many years and never saw the light of day until the 1960s or '70s.

I hate to say it, but this Monroe commemorative looks like it has been "obviously dipped" because the luster has that look about it. The coin might have some light rub on it as well.

Here is a Monroe that PCGS graded MS-64.

MonroeO-1.jpgMonroeR.jpg