• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A True Journal Entry posted by TylerNorton

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

... and not an arbitrary thought (or about American Silver Eagles).

I have been a member of NGC's registry for about six months now, but I have yet to publish a journal entry. Since I enjoy reading everyone else's entries, I thought I would upload one of my own. The journals I enjoy the most are always about a recent addition of a rare (classic) coin. So, keeping with my interest, this entry will be about a recent acquisition and a few thoughts about our great "hobby" (I put "hobby" in quotations because, as you know, coin collecting is much more than, merely, a "hobby").

To start, I will state I primarily collect Walking Liberty Half Dollars. I am currently trying to complete a short set of uniquely-toned Walkers. After I have completed my short set, I hope to finish the entire series. I collect the Walker series because of its historical significance and its complex design. In addition to Walking Liberty Half Dollars, I also have a type set and a half dollar type set. Neither of my type sets have many coins, but, nonetheless, I would love to finish them before its all said and done.

My Walker short set: http://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=152511&Ranking=all

One question that I have asked many fellow coin enthusiasts is: "what series would you collect if you had unlimited funds?" So, I pose this question to my fellow registry members. If you'd like, post your response - I'd love to read them! My answer to that question would be the Seated Liberty Dollar series. I love all Seated coinage, but the asking prices for each series are out of reach. If you are also a fan of the Seated Liberty design, check out YeOldeOne's collection (if you haven't already). His collection is absolutely incredible, and even saying that is an understatement.

On a different note, the coin I have added a photo of is my 1941 Walker certified as an MS-67 *Star* by NGC. I routinely scour various dealer websites and auction sites looking for "unique," registry-worthy Walkers, and I came across this one on eBay. This coin was ended early from an eBay auction by the owner because of eBay's increased seller fees. Luckily, it was relisted on his personal website. I bought the coin for a very fair price, and proudly display it as my collection's highlight. This coin has a natural petina that is rarely seen. The natural petina includes beautiful gold, green, and orange colors. As I have stated in the description of this coin, I believe it is undergraded. Admittedly, my opinion may be bias because I own the coin, but, from the picture, you tell me. The coin has limited bag marks - which are not even noticeable without a loupe - and a nice strike. The strike could be better, but its nothing that would subtract from the coin's grade. You judge for yourself.

In closing, I ask, what is your favorite series? Also, how did you get into collecting coins? I apologize if this is a corny question, but its one that interests me. I collect coins because my great grandmother left me a circulated collection of Morgans, Buffalos, V-Nickels, and Seated Half Dimes. This collection sparked an interest in coins as a whole, and the history behind them.

Thank you, in advance, for the kind introduction to NGC's journals.

Respectfully,

Tyler

14128.JPG

See more journals by TylerNorton

Tyler

Welcome to Collectors Society, and welcome to journal posting, there is always room for another journal writer.

If funds were not an issue, its a tough call as to what series I'd like to collect. While I do love anything seated and I have a custom set entitled, "The Use of Seated Imagery in Numismatics", I think I'd have to go for the Liberty Head Double Eagle. The coin is large and most importantly, struck in gold. That coins were ever struck in a metal as precious as gold for general circulation fascinates me.

I was introduced to coin collecting by a cousin and the story of my introduction to coins is contained in my bio on the public view of my page (gherrmann44). Much of my interest in coins is similar to yours, the only thing that differs is in the coins we collect. If you get a chance check out the aforementioned custom set, I think you will find many of the coin descriptions interesting.

Once again, welcome, and by the way, that is a mighty nice Walker collection you have. You will also find a number of outstanding Walker sets on Collectors Society also.

All the best.

Gary

Welcome Aboard Tyler,

As to which coins I would like to collect as a set I would say 3c and seated half dimes.

I started my first collection of Franklin Halves at the age of 12. I pushed a mower 1 mile to cut a yard for a lady that always gave me a silver half dollar in the $3 that I got for cutting her grass. By the end of the summer I almost had a complete set of dates. :)

Happy Coin Collecting!!

Welcome Tyler! We're glad to have you here.

If funds were unlimited, I'd upgrade my Large Cents, finish off the Half Dimes in the highest grades available, and maybe get into earlier US coinage - from the half cents through the $10 gold. If I had to narrow it down, I'd focus on the half dimes. (I might consider larger coins, as my aging eyes have more and more trouble seeing the little things!)

I got into collecting as a boy, about 10 I think. It was mostly copying my older brother. He's an astronomer, and I tried. I got the Ph.D. also, but don't really have the depth of understanding or imagination and creativity to last in meaningful research. But I remain close to it as a software systems engineer supporting the Hubble Space Telescope and the upcoming James Webb Space Telescope. As for the coins, our paths diverged: When I was 12 and he had recently started college, he gave me most of his coins for Christmas.

I think I speak for the rest of us here in saying that we look forward to more participation from you in the journals and boards.

Alan

Tyler, welcome to our little world!

If I had unlimited funds I wouldn't necessarily pick one set but rather one type and that is anything and everything COPPER. I'd likely start with the 1793 Wreath cent listed for $210k in MS64BN on eBay right now. I have a set of 1793-Date cents I'm working on at the moment and I'll do my best to complete it.

Unlike most other collectors, I didn't start my coin hunt until I finished my first degree and had a little money but I have been going at since then. Indian Head pennies in a Littleton folder got me started.

Again, welcome and post up often.

Michael

Hi Tyler. Welcome to the collectors society. Nice set of Walkers you have. I like vumc409 if I had unlimited funds would concentrate on trying to put together a complete set of small cents. That would be my dream collection Hope to see you around Doug

Hello Tyler -

Great entry and hope to read more from you in the coming months.

The old what if question - I've been doing that since I was 10 - sit around on a lazy summer day, take the Redbook and hypothesis if I were a zillionaire what coins I would own!!

I think I would go Renaissance and work on sets of $20 St Gaudens, $10 Indian, $5/$2.50 Indian, Walkers, Merc Dimes and Buffalo Nickels or heck I might just try to do an Eliasburg and get one of them all!!

Todd

Hi Tyler,

You started off in a great series, Walking Liberty half dollars. Beautiful coins, lots of dates/mints but no "show stoppers" unless you're going for a complete set in MS grades. With unlimited funds, I would go for a complete silver half set (1794 to 1964), then add Standing Liberty quarters and Mercury dimes. Or maybe take a shot at an Eliasberg and get one of everything.

I got started in collecting at the age of seven or eight. One of my grandfathers had the local barber shop in his basement, and he would throw all of the pennies in a jar and give them to me for my birthday. He lived out in the country near Columbia, TN and there were lots of early Lincolns and even a few Indians in the jar every year, even in the early 60's. I moved on to Buffalo nickels (you could still get one with a readable date once in a while) and Mercury dimes when I was old enough to push a lawn mower. I managed to save enough to get a few silver dollars when the banks still had them (1964 or so) and a partial set of Walkers and Franklins before they disappeared from circulation.

Welcome to the journals!

Hey Tyler,

My Mom got me started in collecting as a kid antique hunting when we lived in the Carolina's back in the 60's. Since then comics, schrades and coins are it but if I had more money than I knew what to do with I would need a set of ultra cameo Franklin's and I'd have to complete my Morgan set, still need the 93' and 95'.

Welcome aboard, look forward to your future posts,

Larry

Thank you, all, for your responses and the kind welcome! I'm glad so many answered the questions. When I posted the journal last night and said I would go for the Seated Dollar series, I wasn't even thinking of the possibility of pulling an Eliasburg. I'm always keeping my eye out for Eliasburg coins, and, someday, I would like to be able to write in the description area of one of my coins, "the Eliasburg coin."

I look forward to posting more journals in the future. I'm sure I will have no problem coming up with different topics to write about, as I am "in deep" with collecting.

Thank you to everyone who has taken a look at my sets. I have looked at the collections of all who replied, and enjoyed every one. I have stumbled upon many of your sets in the past (during the countless hours spent on this site). You all have some beautiful sets!

Again, thank you for the welcome, and I look forward to participating in all aspects on NGC's Collector's Society.

Regards,

Tyler

Welcome Tyler----great journal post.

Even if I had unlimited funds, I'd still collect the Walker. They are beautiful and challenging. I also like the Standing quarters and YES I, too, have always liked seated coinage.

My dad got me interested in coins at a young age. I joined the NGC registry in 2005 and got more serious in 2009.

I like Draped bust dollars, so THAT would be my choice if I had unlimited funds. Keep up the good work with your Walkers-----you are off to a good start!!