• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to my beloved Lincolns?

13 posts in this topic

So, I stopped collecting coins for a while and switched to comics.

Recently I picked up my (barely) started Dansco type album now I'm considering going dual, comics and coins.

The only complete set I have done is the Dansco Lincoln set. I forget the number (it's at the bank), but it's the one that includes proof only.

In any event, I just checked closed Ebay prices on the 1909-S VDB, and it appears it's gone down in value a fair bit since a couple years ago. Did Lincolns cool off?

They did not cool off. I don't remember the name but a gentleman up north died and he had a large hoard of high grade S VDBs and 1922 no ds when they started hitting the market the prices went down. I took a $600 hit on a ms 65 rb

They did not cool off. I don't remember the name but a gentleman up north died and he had a large hoard of high grade S VDBs and 1922 no ds when they started hitting the market the prices went down. I took a $600 hit on a ms 65 rb

How long ago was this? Do you think they will heat up again?

I spent quite a bit of money and I spent countless hours cherry picking at coin shops to finally complete my set.

About 18 months ago. Lincolns will always be collected. You are worrying about one coin. Look at the rest of the series. High grade Lincolns are hitting highs never before seen. If you are that worried just post with pictures the coins you wish to sell on this forum and just see what you are offered on many. Now if when you put the series together you did not use common since and spent like a lot of deep pocket buyers are doing, then you have problems. In the same vain if you indeed bought only high grade coins at the fair market price at the time, I think you would be alright.

About 18 months ago. Lincolns will always be collected. You are worrying about one coin. Look at the rest of the series. High grade Lincolns are hitting highs never before seen. If you are that worried just post with pictures the coins you wish to sell on this forum and just see what you are offered on many. Now if when you put the series together you did not use common since and spent like a lot of deep pocket buyers are doing, then you have problems. In the same vain if you indeed bought only high grade coins at the fair market price at the time, I think you would be alright.

I think this is true for the better date pieces and the older half of the series (read as pre 1934), but it appears to me at least, that post 1934 coins are not doing as well even in high quality grades like MS67 (even when CAC stickered). Are my observations atypical or are you focusing on the earlier pieces?

Also, to the OP, I know you asked specifically about Lincoln Cents, but the coin market has taken a hit in several areas during the economy. As many individuals have less money to spend on luxury items, the coin market suffers. Nevertheless, there does seem to be a general exception that is almost universal: high end quality coins that have excellent eye appeal seem to be doing okay (notwithstanding some exceptions with common dates - even though PQ coins are still holding up better than other coins).

I think this is true for the better date pieces and the older half of the series (read as pre 1934), but it appears to me at least, that post 1934 coins are not doing as well even in high quality grades like MS67 (even when CAC stickered). Are my observations atypical or are you focusing on the earlier pieces?

Also, to the OP, I know you asked specifically about Lincoln Cents, but the coin market has taken a hit in several areas during the economy. As many individuals have less money to spend on luxury items, the coin market suffers. Nevertheless, there does seem to be a general exception that is almost universal: high end quality coins that have excellent eye appeal seem to be doing okay (notwithstanding some exceptions with common dates - even though PQ coins are still holding up better than other coins).

You are correct on a lot of post 34 lincolns, but there a lot of exceptions there also ms 67 grades of several 30's, 40's and 50's lincolns are over the moon. the post 34's were always less than the earlier lincolns. When I was a kid lincolns from 1941 to present at that time was called the second set (Whitman folders).Yet there are several of those coins in ms 67 are tough to find and expensive to buy. You are also right in that all series of coins take a hit from time to time just like every type collectable.

wheat

From what I've seen the MS67 CAC'd post 1934 material is still selling well, while non CAC material is lagging abit. The stuff that really took a hit is the 65-66 level, those can be bought for peanuts these days.

I know that in 2009 when it was Lincolns anniversary they went hot...that's when I bought my 1909-S VDB...

Then the price went way back down! I can't even sell mine right now unless I wanted to take a hit. Especially on here. Then if I went to eBay, even if I got what I could, its still taking a nice jit plus eBay and PayPal fees! I am forced to hold it....which I don't like because I REALLY WANT to liquidate it! But can't take the loss that I would take

I know that in 2009 when it was Lincolns anniversary they went hot...that's when I bought my 1909-S VDB...

Then the price went way back down! I can't even sell mine right now unless I wanted to take a hit. Especially on here. Then if I went to eBay, even if I got what I could, its still taking a nice jit plus eBay and PayPal fees! I am forced to hold it....which I don't like because I REALLY WANT to liquidate it! But can't take the loss that I would take

Fortunately for me I'm fine with hanging on to my wheaties.

Why don't you show us photos of your S-VDB? Nice ones will always draw good prices. Poorer ones, less so.

Lance.