• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Here's an idea for you - Fake NGC or PCGS coin that acts as homing device....

25 posts in this topic

I read about stolen coin collections and coin inventories everyday. (I'm on Doug Davis' email list.)

Here's an idea for you - a fake NGC or PCGS coin that acts as a homing device....to lead you to your stolen inventory or collection.

Obviously there are some hurdles to overcome to make this work, but wouldn't it be cool if you could buy something like a homing device that looked like a coin in a TPG service holder that acted as a homing device so that the cops could be lead right to the front door of the thief's home?

Our government can turn on your "off" phone and use it as a listening device or homing device; why can't someone come up with a device that looks like a graded coin that as soon as it leaves your house, starts putting out some sort of signal.

Surely one of you geniuses out there can make this work.

(I'm just the idea man.)

So, you think some thief is going to go to the trouble of trying to sell one of these to a collector when he can just put a tracking device on his car? I think that is unlikely.

By the way, it doesn't have to look identical to a graded coin; no thief is going to rob you and carefully look at every coin to see if it's a real coin or a tracking device within a short time after the theft occurs.

In fact, the "coin" can be a fantasy coin that no collector would believe is real. I don't think most thieves would notice a Morgan Dollar dated 1876.

So, you think some thief is going to go to the trouble of trying to sell one of these to a collector when he can just put a tracking device on his car? I think that is unlikely.

By the way, it doesn't have to look identical to a graded coin; no thief is going to rob you and carefully look at every coin to see if it's a real coin or a tracking device within a short time after the theft occurs.

In fact, the "coin" can be a fantasy coin that no collector would believe is real. I don't think most thieves would notice a Morgan Dollar dated 1876.

He does not have to sell the collector one, just buy a simple scanner and drive around searching for a signal. Stuff like this has to send out a signal and you can bet that the theives will buy one of these fake items deconstruct it to figure out the correct signal wave. On the surface it sounds cool but could be more dangerous than helpfull to collectors.

Maybe you could make it so the item doesn't put out a signal until it is removed from the area where it is supposed to be; it sits on top of a pad of some sort (in your safe) which keeps it charged and when it is removed from the pad or your location or away from some gizmo on your belt, only then does it start to give off a signal.

(Obviously I'm not an electrical engineer!)

Maybe you could make it so the item doesn't put out a signal until it is removed from the area where it is supposed to be; it sits on top of a pad of some sort (in your safe) which keeps it charged and when it is removed from the pad or your location or away from some gizmo on your belt, only then does it start to give off a signal.

That would probably make it too easy to spot, being that its is supposed to be a disguised slab. A thief would simply not take that with him.

He does not have to sell the collector one, just buy a simple scanner and drive around searching for a signal. Stuff like this has to send out a signal and you can bet that the theives will buy one of these fake items deconstruct it to figure out the correct signal wave. On the surface it sounds cool but could be more dangerous than helpfull to collectors.

Agreed.

This was tested several years ago with homing pigeons, but they had trouble getting out of the slabs to fly home.

RFI tags or frequency activated transponders might work better than pigeons.

That would probably make it too easy to spot, being that its is supposed to be a disguised slab. A thief would simply not take that with him.

I'm sure you're right. Most coin thieves are super smart and would go through each and every coin and right away spot a Morgan dated 1877. Stupid me!

Another solution would be to have some way of turning the signal on remotely. Most cars are now unlocked by pushing a button on your key remote.

Your collection or inventory gets stolen and you immediately turn on the well-disguised fake 1878 Morgan tracking coin and bingo, you're lead right to your wife's new boyfriend's house where your coin collection is.

This guy CERTAINLY would have spotted a Morgan dated 1877:

(TACOMA, Wash.) -- A Tacoma, Wash., coin shop owner says he’s close to finding out who broke into his store on Sunday, stealing $30,000 worth of coins. The suspect wasn’t exactly an accomplished thief, leaving a trove of clues behind, including picture-perfect views of his face on multiple security cameras.

Since the surveillance video from the burglary was released to the media, American Rare Coin and Collectibles owner Ray Brandt says he’s had four unrelated calls giving him the same man’s name, which he turned over to police.

In the store’s crystal-clear surveillance video, the burglar is seen sawing through the roof, then climbing down a rope tied to a satellite dish to make his way inside. The video shows a man’s unmasked face clearly has he runs straight for an expensive coin display. The man shoves coins into a bag, leaving behind fingerprints, supplies on the roof and even a bag of coins, worth another $30,000, according to Brandt.

“I am so hopeful because I need my inventory back so bad. It’s taken half my life to gather,” Brandt told ABC News. “A lot of the coins that are missing are very hard sought-after coins.”

Brandt said he didn’t think the suspect had ever been in his store, but he did run to a private showroom where only regular customers are taken.

A spokesperson for the Tacoma Police said investigators were having a confusing time dealing with the case because the owner told the investigators he wasn’t able to give them a surveillance tape, yet the police department saw the tape on local news stations later that night.

“He said he wasn’t able to supply any tape and then he got a hold of his newspaper and gave it to them,” said Tacoma Police Department public information officer Loretta Cool. Tacoma police say Brandt finally handed over the tape yesterday, though the burglary happened last Sunday.

“The nine security cameras from Costco was the best investment I’ve ever made in my life,” Brandt said.

Brandt said he wants the suspect apprehended as soon as possible and hopes he will be able to retrieve his coins.

“My hope is to get this person off the streets, he doesn’t just hurt my store, but hurts my family. I’ve worked hard for everything I’ve gotten in my life,” Brandt said.

Read On ABC News Radio: http://abcnewsradioonline.com/national-news/bumbling-thief-sought-in-30k-coin-heist.html#ixzz2aBJYrPwr

"Tacoma Police Department public information officer Loretta Cool." You're joking, right?

Five days to turn over the video to police? Give it to the TV stations first? Not sure who is more foolish.....

That does it... if I steal someones coins, I'm taking their belts as well!!

Adrian... I actually think your proposal quite interesting.

If you got your dog or cat from an animal shelter, it likely has an RFID chip implanted. (If you got a cat, they just remove the brain and insert the chip in the space - the cat shows no ill effects.)

Sticking RFID chips in holders for expensive coins has already been done.

Here's your product:

http://www.thetileapp.com/

That's pretty cool and I bet the guts could be stuck inside a fake but semi-realistic looking coin and then into a slab.....they're cheap too.......good job!

Now, one of you guys with nothing better to do can get in touch with that company and run with it. (Just mention me when you write your book. )

great idea, but you would need the TPGs to agree for their slab use

you may need to start a company like Anaconda Coin Grading (might as well use a 100 pt scale) so that you could hide it better (white thick inserts)

what might even be better is a bomb that detonates when fiurther than XX feet from the base transmitter

Here's your product:

http://www.thetileapp.com/

Should work fine unless the thief decides to move more than 100 feet away from you. This is a phone app that activates an RFID chip in the tile and only has a range of about 100 feet. But if it is within 100 of anyone else using the app it will give you their location.

You could buy a standard tracking device and hide it in your bag as you go to

and from shows. The problem I see with the fake coin holder is that it would

require batteries and a sim card to dial out. Not real easy to hide in coin holder, as

well as not too easy to charge up or replace the batteries. Then there is the monthly fee

to have basically a phone to call.

However, I liked your idea.

I'm sure you're right. Most coin thieves are super smart and would go through each and every coin and right away spot a Morgan dated 1877. Stupid me!

I was referring to the one you placed on a pedestal ;) , i.e.,

"it sits on top of a pad of some sort (in your safe) which keeps it charged and when it is removed from the pad or your location or away from some gizmo on your belt, only then does it start to give off a signal."

If you got your dog or cat from an animal shelter, it likely has an RFID chip implanted. (If you got a cat, they just remove the brain and insert the chip in the space - the cat shows no ill effects.)

Sticking RFID chips in holders for expensive coins has already been done.

This. A GPS requires an active power source and it would be readily apparent to most burglars. A RFID chip, however, could be powered by a handheld scanner a few feet away. Granted, it is not going to find your coins per se, but it will allow identification once the coin is found. For very expensive coins, I can see it being worth the expense (the pet versions are usually $40-$60 a chip, but I am sure that if mass produced for coins, you could obtain them for much less).