• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1950-D Jefferson Nickel -- Toned! -- GRADE POSTED

20 posts in this topic

I know these were hoarded by the roll by thousands of people, but I'm just wondering what people think about this one. It resides in a problem-free old-fatty NGC holder, and I have a similar looking one (with a weaker strike) that was on the same invoice number.

The colors are accurate, and not modified (i.e. juiced) in any way. Image was shot with 3 LED lamps, with the coin completely flat (no tilting or funny business).

Guess the grade and give me your thoughts on the toning.

Thanks,

-Brandon

139610.jpg.deecd363ea3af3a430585b3f7fe7ad30.jpg

139611.jpg.69c8fd5a09ee4cf9a212795d0518816c.jpg

Overall I like the toning - perhaps the most interesting Jefferson nickel I've ever seen. I really like the color. It looks like a 66 to me...

Todd

The coin looks MS66 to me (and a strong one for the grade) without full steps.

I'm not sure about the toning though. My initial reaction was that the color was questionable, but take my opinion with a grain of salt. I collect mostly toned silver and gold (with even a bit of 95% copper), so I see far more of those examples than those made of a nickel alloy. Most of the toned nickel coins that I have handled are toned Buffalo nickels that have the same characteristic arch that is common with album toned coins. I will say that I suppose that given its 75% copper content, variation in the way the alloy is mixed could produce such a pattern, but my initial intuition tells me to question the piece. I don't recall ever seeing those shades of blue or purple on a nickel alloy before.

For whatever it is worth, I do find the coin attractive, however.

The coin looks MS66 to me (and a strong one for the grade) without full steps.

I'm not sure about the toning though. My initial reaction was that the color was questionable, but take my opinion with a grain of salt. I collect mostly toned silver and gold (with even a bit of 95% copper), so I see far more of those examples than those made of a nickel alloy. Most of the toned nickel coins that I have handled are toned Buffalo nickels that have the same characteristic arch that is common with album toned coins. I will say that I suppose that given its 75% copper content, variation in the way the alloy is mixed could produce such a pattern, but my initial intuition tells me to question the piece. I don't recall ever seeing those shades of blue or purple on a nickel alloy before.

For whatever it is worth, I do find the coin attractive, however.

Kenny thanks for your reply. Actually, blues and purples are not all that rare on Jefferson Nickels. Many of these 1950-D nickels were hoarded away in who-knows-what sort of containers, etc.

For what it's worth, I have a buff nickel in an old fatty holder that also has some of the deep pinks and blues present (though not as prominent) on the obverse lower right.

1938D_Nickel_MS66_NGC_direct.jpg

As an aside, the 1950-D nickel frequently comes with a mushy and "worn out" looking strike.

Keep the guesses coming folks...

I'm with Kenny, even though the toning is probably natural it will probably get called QT. It does look like a 66+. The spot on the pony tail looks dull and lifeless which would be of concern. Personally I like it but the TPG's may not.

I'm with Kenny, even though the toning is probably natural it will probably get called QT. It does look like a 66+. The spot on the pony tail looks dull and lifeless which would be of concern. Personally I like it but the TPG's may not.

It's already in a problem-free NGC holder, fatty style slabbed many years ago. So the TPGs were fine with it.

1938D_Nickel_MS66_NGC_direct.jpg

This buffalo nickel has blue and purple, but is much lighter and much closer to what I would expect to see on a nickel alloy. It was the shade of colors that made me wonder. Regardless, I like it, and I certainly would defer to Mark Feld anyway on the coin in the original post. ;)

Was this a new purchase?

Congrats on the pickup then! Very interesting colors and I will stand by my 66, no plus since it was graded well before those were given.

Was this a new purchase?

Yes, it is a new purchase...and I purchased another at the same time from the same seller with a similar look but with a weaker/mushier strike. The colors on both are very similar. And, the invoice number (certification number before the hyphen) of both are the same, so they were graded/submitted at the same time.

I would guess MS65 in an old holder. The mark in the center of the reverse may just be toning but it is distracting to me.

I think I should stop posting the really large coin images. It seems the smallest of marks are overemphasized.

This nickel is in an old fatty holder graded MS67 by NGC.

Thanks for the guesses.

1950D_Jefferson_Nickel_NGCFatty_MS67_composite_zps9ee02147.jpg

I think I should stop posting the really large coin images. It seems the smallest of marks are overemphasized.

Thanks for the guesses.

I think the coin looks great. AND that the grade guesses would have been higher, had you not disclosed that it resided in an older holder.

Thanks for the guesses.

I think the coin looks great. AND that the grade guesses would have been higher, had you not disclosed that it resided in an older holder.

Thanks Mark. It means a lot for YOU to say that a coin looks great! :):D

BRG I have to say that I love your photo representation, the way you matte out the coins and with a dark gray background with black shadow. Very nice and congrats on a very nice coin.