• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 peace dollar .. GTG? NEW PICS POSTED IN LAST COMMENT!

44 posts in this topic

1922 peace dollar with just a hint of toning on the obverse. What would you say PCGS called it? And do you like the coin? I do, Not sure about the green on the crown and the top of the eagle's head though. I'd have to see it in hand..

Seller's pics:

373EE498-A87F-4922-BBA0-608EBE229233-33641-00002037D8338148_zps6054b600.jpg

F87A78DC-753A-4EA2-B174-486B4E13D1B9-33654-000020389FFF6D0A_zps18afbd09.jpg

Impossible to tell from those overexposed (blown out) pictures.

Can't tell for sure, but there appears (in those images) to be a pretty nasty rim gouge/hit around the "E" of STATES on the reverse. If that just an image anomaly of some sort??

Impossible to tell from those overexposed (blown out) pictures.

Can't tell for sure, but there appears (in those images) to be a pretty nasty rim gouge/hit around the "E" of STATES on the reverse. If that just an image anomaly of some sort??

That drew my eye immediately. I would damaged if it is not just the pic.

Now looking at the coin in hand, that hit on the reverse is definitely on the coin, but its really not as bad as the pic suggest.

The coin has LOTS of luster and the little color that's on the obverse is much brighter and vibrant, not mottled and "dirty" like the pics show.

Most important, the green spots on the eagle's head and legs, in ms. Liberty mouth, in the crown - are only in the pics and are nowhere to be seen on the coin.

PCGS graded MS64+. You can't tell from seller's pics.

Bought on eBay for $82. Not sure why I even placed the bid on this coin, I don't collect peace dollars, but I'm very happy with this purchase.

Thanks for your thoughts and guesses. When I get a better pic of the coin I will follow this threa up

Given that the consensus was approximately MS63 or so, I think coin was bumped up for the color. As such, the toning must be superb for it to have received a grade of MS64+ (or so I am guessing). Do you have any new pictures of the coin? How does it look in hand?

This further reinforces the notion that PCGS gives the '+' designation to Peace Dollars with attractive toning.

It doesn't reinforce that notion to me. All it tells me is that the coin looks better, technically, in hand than it does in the image. And/or that grading is somewhat subjective.

This further reinforces the notion that PCGS gives the '+' designation to Peace Dollars with attractive toning.

It doesn't reinforce that notion to me. All it tells me is that the coin looks better, technically, in hand than it does in the image. And/or that grading is somewhat subjective.

I should've qualified that to say 'reinforces the notion to me'.

I have seen more widget Peace Dollars with PCGS + grades with rainbow color than I have without color.

The new image confirms my earlier thought that the coin probably looked better than how it was portrayed in the first set of images. Based on the new image, I would have guessed MS65 or 65+, even with the hit on the eagle's tail.

Big difference in the new pics for sure but the rev kills it for me and I would not grade it better than a 63 myself. This imo(thats for you Mark) is market graded up for the color as another poster mentioned

Big difference in the new pics for sure but the rev kills it for me and I would not grade it better than a 63 myself. This imo(thats for you Mark) is market graded up for the color as another poster mentioned

Based on the new images, I'd grade the coin 65, even if it had no color. I don't understand your MS63 assessment.

It's too spotty. The first pictures show it better. You can't really second guess a market grade, anyway, especially when it's got color. How pretty is it? Duh. It's pretty enough for a third grader to call it just under gem. I mean, a third party grader.

thanks guys

like i said, the first set of images was the seller's. and i'm no good with the camera.

finally got around to sending this coin to be imaged, and these pics display the color and luster as close to the in-hand looks of it as possible.

i think the 64+ grade is solid. i don't look at the coin as overgraded. like it where it is.

Based on the new images, I'd grade the coin 65, even if it had no color. I don't understand your MS63 assessment.

No need for you to understand, you and I see it differently thats all.

I know it's my coin and I might not be very subjective, but I find it hard to believe PCGS bumped up the grade by 1.5 points for the color. The color is nice, but it's not a monster toner or THAT spectacular. I don't think it played a big role, if any, in the grade assigned.

I can see how nice color would bump a grade from 63+ to 64, or maybe even from 63 to 64.. But from 63 to 64+? That seems unlikely.. Just saying.

I got a good deal on it so I'm happy with the purchase anyways.

Thanks for all the guesses

Nobody has even mentioned the grand canyon dug into the rim just above the eagle's head that would absolutely kill it for me

brg5658 mentioned that rim gouge in a previous post. I'm with you on this point. I've seen coins BB'd for rim hits like this. Perhaps the TPG has reasons to believe that the rim gouge is from a broken die edge? (shrug)

Without the Reverse rim gouge, I could see 63 maybe 64, but 64+. IMHO over graded.

Carl

Big difference in the new pics for sure but the rev kills it for me and I would not grade it better than a 63 myself. This imo (thats for you Mark) is market graded up for the color as another poster mentioned

I know it's my coin and I might not be very subjective, but I find it hard to believe PCGS bumped up the grade by 1.5 points for the color. The color is nice, but it's not a monster toner or THAT spectacular. I don't think it played a big role, if any, in the grade assigned.

I can see how nice color would bump a grade from 63+ to 64, or maybe even from 63 to 64.. But from 63 to 64+? That seems unlikely.. Just saying.

I got a good deal on it so I'm happy with the purchase anyways.

Thanks for all the guesses

Well, we are grading pictures, while you're grading the coin. So, so much for that.

The issue aside, I wouldn't let it get out of that slab. ATS, they're believers in those slabs.

Nobody has even mentioned the grand canyon dug into the rim just above the eagle's head that would absolutely kill it for me

As struck ;)

edited to add I am just kidding

It probably is as-struck. Looks like a classic planchet defect.

As struck ;)

edited to add I am just kidding

It probably is as-struck. Looks like a classic planchet defect.

Interesting, please explain why you believe the reverse rim gap is a plancet defect. I see Obverse die breaks on the lower neck and through the date, but I don't see any evidence of a defective plancet. What am I missing?

Carl