• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Coin and Die Set

9 posts in this topic

That is very cool. Where does one obtain something like this. There can't be too many out there. Also why was it only used for one day? Never mind I just read it again before post its a damanged die. Is it for sale? I had to ask. Anyway I like it.

Not sure what they are worth either but I've seen these for sale and pretty sure by the mint, with the certificate verifying that. If I'm not mistaken, the die should actually be "X'd" out. I think they did this with all the statehood qtrs but not sure about that. You can find them on ebay for $40-50.

One day is about all the use the mint gets out of a die, but you have to remember with the high speed presses, that die could have stamped out many thousands of coins.

I have never really been interested in these since they remove ALL signs of an engraving and all you get is basically a block of steel.

Now, if you could get an actual die with the engraving on it, I may like that....

MM

One day is about all the use the mint gets out of a die, but you have to remember with the high speed presses, that die could have stamped out many thousands of coins.

I have never really been interested in these since they remove ALL signs of an engraving and all you get is basically a block of steel.

Now, if you could get an actual die with the engraving on it, I may like that....

MM

Looks like this die struck about a quarter million coins before it cracked and retired.. that's what the 252k strikes means on the paper?

Also I know it's illegal to own a die that still has all the engravings on it, but I thought these retired dies would still have the design, just with an X on them? I remember seeing some dies that were used to mint Carson city dollars and they still had the design, just X'ed out.

I didn't realize there was no engraving on the die. And if its true that they only get one day usage from it, I'm surprised you don't see many more for sale. But then again I've never really been looking for them.

In the past they X'd out the old dies, now the actually grind off the all of the design.

I have a couple of these but have no idea how many are out there..

Oh.. I did not know the do that.. Having a due with all the coin design, even if X'ed, would be very cool..

If the 250K strikes is about average, with mintage of about 300M, there can't be that many of these available.. Just ~1,200 if all were offered for sale, and I'm pretty sure not ALL were..

Very cool piece to own..