• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Broke the 100 herd set mark

9 posts in this topic

But just by the hair of a curl on the bison's head

With the addition of this 1926 Buffalo I jumped into the top 100 for the first time at #99.

I started my Buffalo Nickel set in March of this year with a #220 ranking. With a completed Indian Cent collection that was finished way back in 2006 at # 8 and having now slipped to its present #15 ranking, I committed to putting together a representative Buffalo set with a top 25-30 long range goal.

One interesting piece of information that I was able to garner from the registry is that no collector presently has both Buffalo and Indian Cent collections that are ranked in the top 25. I found this out by looking at each of the top 25 Indian Cent collectors full profile. I was surprised by this as I believe the sets are complementary. I noticed that some Indian Cent collectors either collect the early large cent coppers or half cents or then pursue the Lincolns. On the other hand, Buffalo collectors will also collect Jefferson, Liberty and Shield nickels

My premise is that makes a lot of sense to specialize in what you know, in this case either copper or nickel, with the experienced collected gaining an understanding of the unique look, feel, and strike of each metal.

This is what I also did as I immediately moved into 2 cent pieces when the Indian set was completed. I quickly got a good feel for what a PQ RB 2c specimen would look like and the transition from Indians to 2 cent pieces was relatively easy.

Buffalos on the other hand offer a totally different challenge and I have been very careful to choose only coins that have the eye appeal and strike I have targeted for each date as I gain knowledge of the metal's characteristics.

Finally, I may have bitten off more than I can chew but I recently added my first Morgan CC GSA along with my 1st $2.50 Indian Head Qtr Eagle. I did this for 2 reasons, 1- I have now expanded my horizons to all 4 metals with the addition of gold and silver, and 2- I love the "western theme" of Indian Cents, Buffalo nickels, Carson City minted Morgans and Pratt's classic $2.50 design. I have no aspiration of attaining greatness in either the GSA's or Quarter Eagles, I will pursue crescent toned MS63's for the GSA's and problem free MS62's for the Qtr Eagles and see where my sets eventually land.

Thanks for reading, and hoping everyone has much success in their coin collecting adventures.

Cheers !

Rich

14047.jpg

See more journals by RichH

Thanks guys ! Moving up the Buffalo ranks now becomes much more daunting with some great sets directly in front of me. I am very happy with the decision to collect this set, as the strike differences between dates provide a great study.

Happy hunting !

Rich

139479.jpg.d9ef665851922d8d4c45b657c63bb047.jpg

Rich,

Congratulations on breaking the top 100. Keep up the work and before you know it you will have achieved your goal rank. Nice Bison BTW.

Michael

Congrats on your herd of buffalo's, and your ranking of #99 great going, before you know it you'll be bumping #50. You know i was looking a your MS1937* star buffalo that is one beautiful looking buffalo, i had received a buffalo last year and it been sitting round the house and after seeing your MS67 star, i am going to sent this in to be graded, it is a real toned buffalo, toned on both side with copper and blues and some purples i well be hoping to receive a MS67 star also i hope. My west point set should show next week and then i will sent them all in for grading. Keep your herd corral up. happy collecting Don p.s When i receive this buffalo back i will post grading of it.

Nice coin Rich- looks like you already a have good eye for the Buffalo's! That would be a cool accomplishment to have the only 2 under 25 ranked Indian and Buffalo sets.It's nice to have long terms goals-lol. Please keep us posted on your Buffalo progress! Dave