• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Started my box of 20 Rainbows...first and best...$20 Gold piece in PCGS MS65!

32 posts in this topic

Started my box of 20 Rainbows...first and best...$20 Gold piece in PCGS MS65!

I would love to hear your remarks!

(Pics are good but not great...KryptoniteComics is going to take new pics for me and you will see about twice the real colors that are on the coin!) :D

T2eC16FHJIkE9qU3iLlMBRhrwf6IF60_3_zpsb8368824.jpg

T2eC16ZHJF8FFpkp5cLZBRhrwj291Q60_3_zpscbd76820.jpg

KGrHqUOKpYFFzw26rkHBRhrwfe6e60_3_zpsde13f591.jpg

T2eC16dHJIE9qSO9RjBRhsEKgCw60_3_zps8bc3386a.jpg

Very nice. I had a similar one that was also a 1924...I sold it years ago but based on my photo I think I like yours better. Your's is a higher grade as well....

jom

Color looks fishy to me.

I have seen a few different toned St. Gauden's double eagles, and the normal color progression that I have seen on those matches this piece. There is often a shade of yellow, light lime green, and even a rose/red color. It looks like the other examples that I have seen.

I think it is okay personally, and have seen about a handful of similar examples in TPG holders, with varying intensity of color, leading me to conclude that it is at least market acceptable. Even pieces in some of the older style holders appear stable, so even if it has been processed it is stable. Nevertheless, I believe that it is NT and highly desirable. I base this not only on having seen a handful of stunning toned pieces (read as more dramatically toned pieces like this one), but after having seen other coins with lighter colors in the same progression that few would probably question the authenticity of the toning. Admittedly, the intensity of colors is lighter on those coins, but depending on the alloy/distribution of non-gold metal near the surface, it is convincing at least to my eyes. I have no problem with it. This is the exact type of coin that I would have been in the market for before leaving my job a month and a half ago.

I like it - absolutely gorgeous Doug!

Edited to add: All of the toned Saints that I have either seen or personally handled were dated either 1923 or 1924 and were minted in Philadelphia. I wonder if there is something about how the planchets were prepared/the alloys mixed in those years. RWB and I actually had an interesting exchange about this, but there is no evidence that the planchets were treated any differently. While it could be a coincidence, I wouldn't be surprised if something surfaces at a later date.

Color looks fishy to me.

I have seen a few different toned St. Gauden's double eagles, and the normal color progression that I have seen on those matches this piece. There is often a shade of yellow, light lime green, and even a rose/red color. It looks like the other examples that I have seen.

I think it is okay personally, and have seen about a handful of similar examples in TPG holders, with varying intensity of color, leading me to conclude that it is at least market acceptable...

I've seen toned gold in the past, but it's always been very subtle, while this piece is rather vibrant (for gold). The blotchiness in the upper left quadrant also raised my suspicion. What's currently known about toned gold turning or having turned in holders?

Color looks fishy to me.

I think it is okay personally, and have seen about a handful of similar examples in TPG holders, with varying intensity of color, leading me to conclude that it is at least market acceptable...

I've seen toned gold in the past, but it's always been very subtle, while this piece is rather vibrant (for gold). The blotchiness in the upper left quadrant also raised my suspicion. What's currently known about toned gold turning or having turned in holders?

I haven't seen gold coins turn in holders, other than in the case of putty having been applied and later revealing itself. Also, gold doesn't so much tone as it does exhibit color that is the result of the impure alloy.

I've handled a couple of Saints which displayed very similar color to the one in this thread and was confident that they were original.

I haven't seen gold coins turn in holders, other than in the case of putty having been applied and later revealing itself. Also, gold doesn't so much tone as it does exhibit color that is the result of the impure alloy.

I've handled a couple of Saints which displayed very similar color to the one in this thread and was confident that they were original.

Thanks for the insight, Mark.

Thanks for the insight, Mark.

I have the coin in hand right now and this is the third rainbow toned Saint I have seen up close and they all had a similar NT look to them.

In an attempt to maybe put people's mind at rest about the color of this coin I'll show mine. Mine was graded MS64 by NGC...just based on the OPs photos my coin was not nearly as nice as the above coin. There was also a 1924-P that had substantially more color than mine (but similar colors) that someone on one of the boards owned about the time I had mine. It seems this particular date/mm have a few that toned up this way. As a side note I sold my coin 2004....

20d-24p_zps632ca563.jpg

jom

In an attempt to maybe put people's mind at rest about the color of this coin I'll show mine. Mine was graded MS64 by NGC...just based on the OPs photos my coin was not nearly as nice as the above coin. There was also a 1924-P that had substantially more color than mine (but similar colors) that someone on one of the boards owned about the time I had mine. It seems this particular date/mm have a few that toned up this way. As a side note I sold my coin 2004....

jom

Why would that put people's minds at ease? While I think the color is original, the fact that there are a number of other examples with similar color, doesn't increase the chances that I'm correct.

Why would that put people's minds at ease? While I think the color is original, the fact that there are a number of other examples with similar color, doesn't increase the chances that I'm correct.

I said it was an "attempt". BTW, I KNEW you'd respond to my post in exactly that manner. You are getting predictable. :slapfight:

I sold mine last year, it had a very similar look to the OP's.

SGDE1924NGCMS63.jpg

And...that was the other one I was referring to. And again, based on the photos, nicer than mine by a long shot (even with the lesser grade).

jom

Is it possible the reason for toned gold coins is that there may be an inconsistent mix of copper? Or a bad batch of copper? More copper in one area of the planchet than another? Nice DE OP :)

Is it possible the reason for toned gold coins is that there may be an inconsistent mix of copper? Or a bad batch of copper? More copper in one area of the planchet than another? Nice DE OP :)

Yes, differences in mixing of the alloy account for the colors. Also, in addition to copper, there is often silver and other metals that can also account for the colors seen.

Krypto just sold the OP's coin on Ebay. He had it listed for $6k. If I had the money, I would probably have bought it myself.

I'm confused, or at least I hope I am. Do you mean the same coin, about which the OP wrote on July 16th:

"Started my box of 20 Rainbows...first and best...$20 Gold piece in PCGS MS65!"

?

Krypto just sold the OP's coin on Ebay. He had it listed for $6k. If I had the money, I would probably have bought it myself.

I'm confused, or at least I hope I am. Do you mean the same coin, about which the OP wrote on July 16th:

?

I had wondered about that as well.

?

I had wondered about that as well.

Amazing how coins get "churned" for quick profit on eBay these days....although I'm not sure how much of a profit considering the price asked originally was pretty high.

jom