• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Jefferson Nickel--NGC Registry--E-Bay Problem

12 posts in this topic

While I have known about this problem for some time, a recent E-Bay transaction has put it in a new perspective. I recently sold a 1939 Reverse of 40 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 on E-Bay. Here is a link to the auction listing and a photo of the coin.

1939 Reverse of 40 Jefferson Nickel NGC MS67 (Registry Quality)

JN1939NGCMS67_zpse5ab65cf.jpg

We can see clearly from the photograph that the coin is a Reverse of 40. The problem is that the coin resides in an old fatty NGC holder that predates NGC's recognition of the two different reverses for the 1939 Jefferson Nickels. As a result, any coin graded by NGC before their recognition of the reverses, defaults to a Reverse of 38 in the NGC Registry system. So while I was correctly listing this coin as a 1939 Reverse of 40, the new owner of the coin can only enter the coin in the Reverse of 38 slot in the registry. Furthermore, I found this out because of the feedback that he left me which seems to indicate that he believes that NGC thinks the coin is actually a Reverse of 38. Here is his Feedback:

"NGC said this coin was the reverse of 1938, not 1940. Still, it is very nice"

In the past, I have gone so far as to inform potential buyers that the coin will only fit into the Reverse of 38 slot in the registry, especially when I have touted the coin as a registry quality coin. I simply forgot to do that in this case.

My question to the members of the forum is this: do I owe the buyer and explanation? compensation? or should I leave well enough alone and move on?

I would send him a link to this thread, as you explained it perfectly above. Im sure the buyer would understand the situation. and realize he got what was advertised.

Good luck.

Seeing as how (+) feedback was already left for you I'd be inclined to leave it alone. You sold the coin honestly and I don't think you should be required to know all of the particulars regarding how the registry works. Knowing you may want to cultivate a repeat customer you may explain and perhaps offer to send the coin in for reholder at their expense if they don't have an acct. w/ NGC. I would not offer any compensation. -Doug

By the statement the buyer left, he seems to be happy with coin and also seems to be a very levelheaded individual. I see no reason why you could'nt give him the explanation that you posted here just as a courtesy. I see no harm that it could cause and he may take that as good information for any other Jeffersons he may purchase from you or anywhere else. Jmo

Paul,

I think you were honest and forthright in your listing, and in turn with the buyer. He/she seems to be very rational, and still likes the coin, so I'd either 1) send a thank you note to the buyer with a link to this thread, or 2) leave it alone.

I don't know if NGC would be nice enough to change that particular coin to the "Reverse of 40" type in their databases without needing to reholder it. I have had good luck with NGC customer service in the past, and it seems that if you have a clear and good quality picture of the coin in the holder they might be amenable to such a change (IMO, your images of the coin and holder are plenty good to assess its Rev of 40 status). Especially having essentially you, the guru of Jefferson Nickels, backing up the sale would be good enough in my mind if I were David Lange, Schechter, or another higher up at NGC. Just a thought... worst case scenario is that you get told "no". (shrug)

-Brandon

I think you explain to him what you know. The more he knows the more he's learned.

I do like the idea of you providing him with a link to this thread. Maybe he'll become a regular and tap into the knowledge of many who frequent this tiny corner of the internet.

explain it to the buyer just as you have explained it to us. if there still not happy buy it back and resell it again. just my opinion.

I endorse this view.

As a buyer of coins on eBay, I would really appreciate your explanation of the situation in an e-mail if I was the buyer. I also like the idea of providing him a link of this thread.

IMO, he is new to collecting that series; otherwise, he'd know by your excellent pictures it's a '40 reverse.

By sending him a link, you'll be inviting him to a chat board on the very sight that holdered the coin. He'll be able to use the "Ask NGC" section for advise and might raise his collecting interest.

I think you did nothing wrong, but the extra touch of the e-mail would be appreciated.