• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

new member introduction ....taking apart airtight cases

14 posts in this topic

Hi all. I am new to collecting and to the board. Its a great hobby and this is a very good forum full of information.

My first question to you all.... is there or does anyone have a trick to take apart airtight cases?

Thanks! Brian

Welcome to the NGC coin forum.

I have not used airtight holders, except for some coins that I bought raw in the holders. It seems to me, that it helped to try to turn the two halves, while pulling them apart.

Others will no doubt chime in with their favorite methods.

They should just pop apart, but if not, just take the sharp edge of a knife and stick it in the opening slit and just wiggle it open. Welcome to the forum Brian!

Welcome to the neighborhood, Brian!

The easiest way is to use the sharp edge of an X-Acto knife. Insert the blade along the seam like a wedge, applying slight pressure as you work your way around the perimeter. Keep working around the perimeter a few times. It won't work if you try to pry it open from one position all at once.

You should also remember not to close the AirTites if a disk is empty. It can create a partial vacuum which makes them even harder to separate. I used to buy them in bulk, and I would store them in large Zip-Loc bags using one bag for the tops and one bag for the bottoms.

Chris

Welcome to our friendly little neighborhood. As stated above pulling apart both sides at the same time, requires finger nails. If that fails, use a sharp knife to pry little by little around the edge taking care not to crack it if you want to save the airtight. And, be careful. A cut is not worth an airtight and neither is a scratched coin.

Most of the airtight cases that I have seen actually have a little groove that allows you to insert your finger nail in between the two halves and to gingerly open the holder. I would not use holders that did not have this feature. If you have purchased coins already in those without a groove (e.g. some mint capsules), I would use an exacto knife, but be careful about scratching the coin.

Thumb nails! Its like opening a paint can.. use your thumb nail and then shimmy it around the airtight while pulling them apart gently (dont want coin to catapult across the room).

Oh yea, welcome to the neighborhood.