• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stand Alone **TOP POP 1/0** Mercury Dime

13 posts in this topic

Minor Details...I left the variety aspect out of the thread title.

But this is a fun one that is much enjoyed on the forums. :roflmao:

PCGS had photographed this one but after careful examination of the coin and the photo...

I had to do some color correction to get the coin to look like it actually does in hand.

1936-S_PossibleOverdate_FS-110_PCGS_MS67FB.jpg

That is really nice.

What is that in front of her eyes and at the back of her head?

I bought a 3c Nickel once that had something very similar right in front of the face and I thought someone had scratched it up trying to remove some imperfection. I later learned that it was actually the way it was minted. I should have never listened to some. I sent that coin back and other than that it was perfect.

That is really nice.

I bought a 3c Nickel once that had something very similar right in front of the face and I thought someone had scratched it up trying to remove some imperfection. I later learned that it was actually the way it was minted. I should have never listened to some. I sent that coin back and other than that it was perfect.

Those are prooflike areas, which are not particularly rare on Mercury Dimes.

That is really nice.

Those are prooflike areas, which are not particularly rare on Mercury Dimes.

I dont recollect seeing that before. Maybe I've just havent seen enough of them. Thanks for the education Mark.

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

In my Mercury Dime book I described these brilliant patches as "die burn," but the term hasn't been widely adopted.

Very nice, I hope your lone position lasts for awhile.

I was an underbidder on this one (unattributed)

Hertiage FUN

got way too high for me.

Yup, that's my coin. I was the top bidder on that until the auction went live if I recall correctly. Someone bid one last time during the live auction to take it. I was short on cash otherwise I would have done whatever I needed to do to get it. That day I just could not go any higher. Anyway, fast forward a few months and the coin is in the right holder now and I saw it in a dealer's inventory online. I contacted him and was able to make a Trade Deal which was good since...I am still short on cash. lol! I had to go a bit higher than what it sold for in January but I am quite okay with that. I won't mind if someone finds another 67FB. It will just bug me if a 67+FB or 68FB comes along. I had a 65FB that I paid way too much money for a couple of years ago when the pops were pretty low...but that one is gone now. Happy Hunting!

The shiny areas result from excess use of an abrasive wheel to resurface a small portion of the die. (Think of a dentist's polishing tool.) Usually, surface repairs were done manually which left a smooth surfaces with many tiny lines. In this instance, and on some Peace dollars and a few SL quarters, etc. the die sinker or die setter did not touch up the abraded area. Notice that the work was done too deeply and actually removed the bridge of Liberty’s nose.

(See: “From Mine to Mint” for details.)