• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Minor change in direction posted by Yankeejose

3 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Led to a nice trade with 6 Mile Rick

When I first started collecting certified coins I started with modern proofs and MS66 wheat cents. Of course modern coins can have different meanings to different collectors. For me it means 1965 to current- basically the end of the silver coin era. Others may define moderns as post 1934 or after 1946/7 with the end of the Mercury/Walker series. Anyway as time has gone on it dawned on me that to keep current with my proof sets I would be looking at buying 14 certified coins a year for just the clads, plus another 7 to add the silvers! Buying that many coins would use up way too much of my coin budget, mainly because I wanted to keep working on my other pre-1965 sets plus my more traditional raw sets like Large Cents, Indian Head Cents and Seated Liberty dimes. So I relooked at my future collecting strategy and decided that I would not continue with the proof quarters, Kennedy halves and Sacagawea dollars. That leaves just 8 coins instead of 21 each year- the proof Lincoln cents, nickels, clad and silver dimes and Presidential dollars. Part of the decision was easy, I stuck with the most complete better grade sets that I already had.

So of course the first person I thought of was Mr. Trade himself- Six Mile Rick. I looked for what he may need and what he had to trade. We consummated a deal very quickly- 3 70s for 3 70's. I gave him 3 PF 70 2008 quarters for 2 70 Nickels and a 70 dime. A great trade for both of us!

On a side note, one of the coins I received from Rick was a PCGS 2001 70 clad dime. The PCGS price guide says the FMV of this coin is $225! Since I did not want to cheat Rick I watched a sale on EBay for the same grade PCGS coin. It sold for 23 dollars with shipping. I know a price guide is just a guide but really? By the way NumisMedia has this coin priced at 33.75.

Thanks for reading and best of luck to you in this great hobby of ours! Dave

See more journals by Yankeejose

Dave,

The trade was a very good and fair one. First off when I am offered PCGS coins I use the NGC price guide so I got the dime at the NGC numismatic value. I just got in the 2004 and 2007 PF70UC sets and waiting for a state quarter set - PF70UC to show next week. Since I get plenty of sales and trades off my page 2 other members have asked and sent their coins to me to sell for them. The e-bay fees have them putting coins up at such high prices to cover costs that they aren't selling. I can offer them at 20% off or better with my only cost being shipping.

And of course ------- I LOVE TO TRADE!!! :)

Rick