• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding interesting coins in 90% "junk silver" bags

5 posts in this topic

Can anyone comment on the quality and dates of coins that you find in the 90% "junk silver" bags? I put quotation marks around "junk silver" because I don't think any silver is junk. In particular:

1) What is the average grade of the coins in these bags?

2) Do you mainly get 1964 dimes in the generic bags or are there older dates and more interesting coins that are also found?

3) Is it worth a premium to buy the bags with only Barber quarters, Franklin Halves, Mercury dimes, etc., or are they so worn that they aren't worth picking out and putting in coin folders?

4) Would it be exciting for a young person to go through such bags?

5) Do local coin stores usually have prices that can compete with the large online bullion dealers?

6) After 50+ years I would guess that most of the interesting coins have already be removed from such bags?

I would love to hear about your experiences with purchasing 90% junk silver bags.

Thanks.

Have bought in the past. Although I have never found anything of numismatic value, a friend of mine found a 1934-D Washington quarter in VF (he bought his junk silver from a state auction site for unclaimed safe deposit box contents so presumably it really was unsearched).

Note, that you will likely get a lot of worn coins where the silver content has been diminished. You might find a no-date SLQ or even a worn out AG barber quarter, with little/no numismatic value over melt.

That's my experience anyway.

One of the places I search for "junk" silver actually will let me pick through the stuff they have. I have nice AU and low MS stuff that I have found including Mercury dimes, Roosevelt dimes, silver Washington's, etc. I did pick up severa XF/AU walkers and decided to make an entire set with some of them. Most of the other stuff I pass on as its common date VG material and not worth much of a premium.

I have old $1 Face Standing Liberty Quarters | Good + | Minted 1916-1930 coin ..One of the most popular ways to spend money on gold gold bullion is with the 90% U.S. Silver Silver coins. Known as trash gold hand bags, this name developed in the Nineteen seventies and was used to explain a bag of average distributed coins, significance no unusual coins were included.