• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ebay reduces the FVF for items in Coins & Paper Money category

10 posts in this topic

just got this email from ebay:

Dear yonicoin:

There's never been a better time to subscribe to an eBay Store! Subscribers now get between 150-2,500 FREE listings* a month—auction-style or fixed price, access to great marketing tools to help you grow your business, and final value fees from 4-9%. And—as of June 27, 2013—final value fees will be reduced for listings on eBay.com and eBay.ca in the following categories:

Coins & Paper Money: Down to 6%, reduced from 7%

Stamps: Down to 6%, reduced from 9%

that's cool

I never sold under my own account on EBay and don't know most of the intricacies relating to their fees.

But someone who does do a lot of selling on EBay told me that for many sellers, the so-called decease in fees is actually an increase. And that it's due to a new, higher cap on final value fees. Can an eBay aficionado here speak to that?

Mark, that is the typical way that eBay does things. They will do an announcement like: We've listened to the sellers and REDUCED FEES BY 50%. Then you read the fine print and they reduced insertion fees by 50%, but raised final value fees by 30%.

Insertion fees are basically meaningless. They're something like 25c. The only fee that matter is the FVF. To give you an idea, last month my insertion fees were about $120. My FVF fees were about $6500.

However, this time it appears that eBay is not twisting words and they did reduce the FVF without increasing other fees to completely wipe away the savings. I strongly suspect it was due to the new higher fees driving away sellers. I know I started testing out other selling avenues due to the increase.

I agree with Greg but I think the fee reduction is because of the last batch of fee increases so while it's a reduction it simply get me closer to what I was paying before.

Example....on cheap items my FVF fees might have been 8% or 9% with my store but on pricier coins It was as low as 5% to 6% so when they made all coins 7% my total fees actually went up as the more expensive coins are the ones that really add up. So now it will drop a bit but simply get me closer to what I have been paying the past few years...personally I don't see Ebay doing sellers any favors ever but I will take the current drop vs all of the increases I have seen.

In checking my June invoice my FVF were 7%. My store subscription fee is $19.95 which is 150 free listings a month either fixed or auction as I understand it. There is still the approximately 3% hit from paypal, and with shipping variable costs associated with ebay can be approximately 15% based on what my financials are telling me.

In comparison, a show with a table fee of $200, one would need sales slightly over $1300 to break even on the fee. If I spent some money buying and allocated the Table fee between cost of new inventory and sales (ratio of purchases to sales) it should look better. But add travel cost, lodging, car rental, meals, and a more expensive table fee (big show) then you have more of a hole to crawl out of.