• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Machine Doubling vs Double Die ??

17 posts in this topic

In another thread I had presented a penny that I thought exhibited DDO and it was explained to me that it was not DDO but Machine Doubling since the double was flat. So in my quest to understand more about doubling and what is what, would those same folks that chimed in who are in the know let me know what they think this is. Double Die or Machine Doubling?

%2524T2eC16VHJHwFG1knEbKfBRwJtL5gfQ%257E%257E60_57.JPG

Anyone else is more than willing to chime in as well that knows about doubling it doesn't have to be just those that advised in the earlier thread.

Thanks.

You really need extreme close-up pictures to settle this once and for all, but from what I can see the doubling looks like a "flat shelf" (not contoured like the letters) which will indicate machine doubling.

In another thread I had presented a penny that I thought exhibited DDO and it was explained to me that it was not DDO but Machine Doubling since the double was flat. So in my quest to understand more about doubling and what is what, would those same folks that chimed in who are in the know let me know what they think this is. Double Die or Machine Doubling?

%2524T2eC16VHJHwFG1knEbKfBRwJtL5gfQ%257E%257E60_57.JPG

Anyone else is more than willing to chime in as well that knows about doubling it doesn't have to be just those that advised in the earlier thread.

Thanks.

The pictures are not great, but this is definitely machine doubling.

Ok. Got ya.

I would imagine one of these days I will find an actual DDO or DDR and then go 'Awwww Ok. Now I see'...

Thanks

I appreciate that but how about if you were just to post your pictures of it close up or PM them to me. Probably better to put it in the open for anyone else that may have troubles identifying them like I am .

Keep in mind, I have bad eye sight, wear bi-focals, and sometimes it is really hard for me to get that loupe in the right focal pane on my glasses to see as well as some others. I may never get it.

A question though. Is machine doubling not worthy of a premium because it is much more common or is it because of something in the minting process that I am not knowledgeable about?

Maybe it would be best if I just do some Googlin instead of having you folks having to take your time trying to educate me so much. I bet if I Google'd it though it would bring me right back here. lol

3119_VP2.jpg

Untitled+348.png

Untitled+345.png

Nothing? Miss it again?

In the above example the two bottom pics are of my coin. One is in negative form and the other positive. The top one, of-course, is from Variety Plus and that picture is taken using a high quality stereo microscope. I am using a cheap $49 USB Micro

The inner ledge on the 0 on the example matches the inner ledge on what I posted. If you look at the bottom pic, which is in positive image, the ledge is there as well as no drop off like the previous Machine Die Erosion examples I posted before. The letters and numbers are rounded as the example as well. Yet I take it from your last response that I am still off base.

Even when I change the example image from Variety into negative it shows a shelf as well on the outside. I will see if this file is small enough just to attach.

138927.jpg.5d207607343e79f219e0b7f422980243.jpg