• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where is the quality control? Damage Capsule West Point Two Coin Set.

16 posts in this topic

When I got home and open the boxes and to my surprise I have two damage capsule. My plan was to send in one set to NGC and keep the other for show with my other sets. Both enhance coin have damage capsule. One not so noticeable the other damn noticeable. I can not win. I did not want to send in two sets but I might have too. I am going to wait till the weekend to look at the coins closely before sending them out. I should be cooled down my then.

I hope others have greater success then I did.

Happy Collecting,

Ed

damaged.jpg

IMG00156-20130624-1915.jpg

IMG00169-20130624-1921.jpg

IMG00170-20130624-1922.jpg

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

OK...one of them has a chip out of the plastic. Just return it for replacement. If you're going to have it graded why bother with the return?

Heck, collectors used to be happy with a plastic flat pack. Now they want perfection in a package they will dispose of.

OK...one of them has a chip out of the plastic. Just return it for replacement. If you're going to have it graded why bother with the return?

Heck, collectors used to be happy with a plastic flat pack. Now they want perfection in a package they will dispose of.

Like Roger said, if the coin you plan to submit is in the damaged capsule, it doesn't matter. However, if the coin you wish to keep ungraded is in the damaged capsule, then why don't you just swap capsules.

Chris

Like Roger said, if the coin you plan to submit is in the damaged capsule, it doesn't matter. However, if the coin you wish to keep ungraded is in the damaged capsule, then why don't you just swap capsules.

Chris

Ditto! Good to hear from ya again Chris!!!

Chris

exactly

Yes, we were happy with the flat packs, which I still have intact. The point the OP is saying is that the distro center seems to have no concern with quality control. The dreaded 25th Anniversary Set.. I had 4 coins (out of 25) come back 68s. I can bet my paycheck that the damage to these coins were post mint. If a buyer is going to pay the crazy price for the SAE sets, they should get a great product.. not damaged anything. When we were buying our "flat packs", how much were we paying.. a pinch over face value? Buyers are not paying melt from the mint. The mint should conduct a review of their contracts with the distro centers.

People today take no pride in their work.. they just kick out poor products and then they pat themselves on the back.

When we were buying our "flat packs", how much were we paying.. a pinch over face value?

$2.10 for 91 cents in face value.

Buyers are not paying melt from the mint.

Lets see the melt value of the cent and nickel in the flat packs was negligible, so you had about 85 cents melt value and you paid $2.10 so that was 2.47 times melt. At the time the ASE sets were sold the melt value was about $44 so 2.47 times that was

$108. So yes you did pay a little higher rate than you did for the flat packs. From 3.15 to 3.4 times melt depending on when you ordered them.

I had a cracked capsule last year I called the mint and they sent me a free one, I wanted to make sure I had the right size for the Coin, I think it was a ASE Proof. The coin was fine just cracked capsule. It was not easy opening it...

Thnaks Tartop, I sent the coins off to NGC. Hoping for 70's.

It's really easy to tell the difference between a 69 & 70. The coin has to be perfect. Either it is or it isn't.

Chris