• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GTG - 1903 Morgan Dollar

14 posts in this topic

I picked this up yesterday and I am curious as to what you guys/girls think.

The color is off as I'm experimenting with a new lighting setup and I just noticed how blue the coin is. It helped pick up the toning but unfortunately is too blue on the spectrum.

IMG_9349_zpsa1d37e76.jpg

IMG_9356_zpsfca3a59b.jpg

Thanks for your opinions. I bought this coin mostly because of the nice subtle album toning. It really does look nice in hand. It is also a pretty clean coin so I was thinking it was a strong 64.

That reverse is spotless and there is very few marks on the obverse. I would think it would go 65 at least. Nice martian coin!

Good luck on your submission! I've got 4 toners and 3 Mercurys on the way now. Here's hoping for good grades! Id say that coin is a nice 64, maybe a 64+ if it has the luster to carry it. I'd be proud to own this coin!

Edited to correct spelling.

Without the "booming luster" I can't see this coin making MS-65. I've seen this general "look" on Morgan silver dollars many times, and I've never seen a coin like this in a front line (PCGS or NGC) holder graded MS-65,.

MS-64 is this coin's "Peter Principle." You might even end up with MS-63 despite the smooth surfaces. The 1903 dollar does come with nice luster. Therefore a dull piece is not going to get any breaks.