• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Precious Medals

21 posts in this topic

I recently did an appraisal that turned out to be very interesting. The owner pulled out a small 10x3x3 wooden shipping box from the 1800s. On top was an old mailing address for his great, great, grandfather, written in quill pen on a piece of aged white paper pasted to the top. Inside were two round cardboard boxes, like tiny hat boxes. Inside these velvet lined cardboard boxes were two 1876 Bronze Philadelphia Centennial medals, of the official design authorized by Congress and presented at the 1876 exposition. You simply do not find these in what appears to be original mint packaging.

1876CaseM1_zps12b7d4ac.jpg

1876caseM1a_zpsbcb31870.jpg

1876oM1_zpsef3ee91d.jpg

1876rM1_zpsc51fd4b6.jpg

I really enjoy finding medals, especially 19th century medals in their original boxes. It really adds a lot IMO.

At the recent Baltimore show I found a 1961 Civil War Centennial medal in a pristine original box with the paper that when with it. It was not in the same league with what you found, but it was still a neat find.

I, too, like the medals that are in the original presentation cases, and so few of them seem to exist. I have a couple dozen 19th century French and Belgian medals that have the cases which help to protect them from damage. I wish that my 1876 Philadelphia Exposition medal had one too because it is so large. At least now it is in an NGC slab.

Chris

Odd thing is those aren't the "original boxes" that those medals are usually found in. They usually come (when they have a box) in a square presentation case that slips inside a sleeve box. The sleeve box is often missing.