• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1913 Buffalo Nickel - 100th Anniversary in 2013 posted by 00001AAA Coins

10 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

1913 MS 67 STAR (*) Type 1 Buffalo Nickel

Well 100 years have gone by and the 1913 Type 1 Buffalo Nickel still remains very popular for coin collectors. NGC has certified a bit over 330 such coins in MS 67 condition and around 12 in MS 68 condition. I think the STAR coins add a nice touch of color, but I realize not everyone agrees. The Buffalo nickel was part of the larger effort to beautify U.S. coins in the early 1900s and many agree that James Earle Fraser designed a stunning coin fit for the ages. Given the fact that the U.S. mint keeps reusing this design I think confirms its continued popularity today.

Considering the boring Jefferson nickels the U.S. Mint is still churning out today (and has been since 1938) maybe it is time for a change to beautify U.S. coinage again. How about a nickel with some classic details? Maybe a design that isn't so computer driven? Maybe bring back Lady Liberty on a circulating U.S. Coin? Just some thoughts.

13916.jpg

See more journals by 00001AAA Coins

Yep!!! That's a beauty you got there. Great Toning with all the luster and detail. I bet Bammer is admiring that one for sure.

BTW, I collect your SO-CALLED boring Jeffersons and I do enjoy each new addition to my set!!! :)

Later Bud---Rick

I actually thought about the latest designs in proof coins today. The mint makes so much money on the silver eagles and silver proofs I am actually surprised that they didn't incorporate the silver benefits into the Sac's and President dollars.

That is a gorgeous Buffalo Nickel right there! I wish they would bring back some of the older designs, such as Ms. Liberty and other depictions of the Eagle, which is very symbolic of our country and all its majesty. The coins from the earlier eras were more than just a computer generated design. Thwy were actually works of art!

BTW- I saw the orientation of the slab in the picture. Does the Reverse of that Nickel have some rotation to it?

Lovely coin !

I recently started to collect the Buffalo series this spring because, as you mentioned, this year is the 100th anniversary of the design. I would also mention that as the series was discontinued in 1938, the latest date is now 75 years old. This was important to me as I have focused primarily on 19th century classic coinage, and I like feeling the history of the sets I collect. The Buffalo design certainly qualifies as classic, and it complements my Indian Cent collection and other holdings. Best of luck in adding additional Buffs to your herd !!!

Hoping you have much continued success , Rich

Compare your nice 1913 with the J1950 pattern in the Legend Auction. Can you spot the differences?

Thanks for pointing this pattern out RWB. Obviously the wide rim, also no "F" for Fraser's initial, not sure what else?

Regards,

Rich

The J-1950 pattern is a fantastic piece that shows what Fraser wanted. Unfortunately, it is accompanied by a third-grade description that presents no context or background, and does nothing to educate the reader.

You can learn more about the Buffalo nickel patterns and creation of the coin in "Renaissance of American Coinage 1909-1915."