• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1853 large cent

24 posts in this topic

Just an opinion: Strange stuff between stars, abrasion on cheek, corrosion on rev., color looks phony - can't tell much more from the photo.

The coin appears to have been recolored to me. There is something that is just not right about the shade of brown, and what appears to much lighter areas within it. The coin has a lot of "meat" (detail), the surfaces do not appear to be true Mint State.

Here is a brown cent from the same era that was once in my collection.

1852CentO.jpg1852CentR.jpg

Thanks for the reviews guys. As usual Bill always shows an awesome coin! :) I thought the coin had a lot of meat as well. Would have graded pretty high I think had it not had the problems you mentioned. Price is much lower than a certified coin of that detail but I guess you get what you pay for. Jerry

Here's the same coin Bill posted (I bought it from him for my type set) :) Notice the luster in the fields.

1852_Large_Cent_NGC_MS65BN_composite_zps479f1cba.jpg

Something looks almost what I would call "oily" on that coin you linked. I don't know how to describe it, but I have seen a lot of raw large cents at coin shows that have this same sort of "wet/oily" appearance to the surface. (shrug) I'm in the "light cleaning / retoned" opinion here.

The coin was Mint State or virtually Mint State before someone started messing with it. Perhaps someone tried to make it red and killed the mint luster or turned it pink. Whatever, it's not Mint State now because the mint luster is gone, and it is not coming back.

Although "cartwheel luster" is usually associated with silver dollars, you need to see the same thing on a truly Mint State copper coins. The same principle applies. Copper coins have flow lines from having been struck. If they are missing, it's not Mint State. Dull copper surfaces DO NOT EQUAL Mint State.

it does seem to have some color changes around the rim.

The rim from 1 to 3 O'clock is most likely what the original color of what this cent was prior to recoloring and usage of multiple copper chemical products.

Well, someone paid $150 for it. I wonder if they'll also get the computer software that was used to blur part of the obverse field between the stars?

Well, someone paid $150 for it. I wonder if they'll also get the computer software that was used to blur part of the obverse field between the stars?

Good catch, Roger. There are some "virtual repairs" ("virtual smoothing") in front of Ms. Liberty's face that extend to other areas on the obverse.

Some of us learned this through the school of hard knocks. After you have bought a coin and then tried to sell it, you get an earful about what’s wrong with it from the dealer when you tried to sell it. This was very common before the major grading services came along. If you have “the eye” you begin to learn to look from these things.

Here is the next scam that some folks are pushing. “Marks don’t matter; if a coin has great original luster, it does not matter if it has a lot of small marks.” I got the “This is where collectors go wrong,” lecture on this ATS. It’s one of the reasons why marked up Morgan dollars are making their way into MS-66 holders. It is one more example of “grade-flation.”

there is a lot of knowledge on these boards for sure. I have learned a lot and have much to learn yet. Seems like buying MS coins should almost always be done by buying slabbed coins. Unless you are very experienced and have a great eye I suppose. I seem to do better buying vf to xf coins. Prices are much cheaper and resale seems to be at what I paid or a little higher. If I tried buying higher grade coins in raw condition I am sure I would be burned like with this coin. Jerry

For comparison, here's a coin I purchased from Mark Feld that to me is an example of what you should be looking for in an uncirculated BN large cent:

cent1853ngcMS65bn_zpsdc4186f1.jpg

It looks severely processed to me!