• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Photo Critique Again Please!!

11 posts in this topic

So I'm using my new Canon T4 with remote shoot. I'm using my 18-55mm lens with a cheap 58mm Macro lens. Working with my lighting and would appreciate honest opinions of these coins! Of course, I never expected anything less from you guys! lol

This one was shot thru the OGP airtite:

2013SAEProof_zps12be29d1.jpg

This one was shot thru the OGP airtite also:

2005GoldEagle_zps25fa8bfa.jpg

This is just a Roosevelt I have in my Dansco:

1955Roosie_zps7e9ce3b4.jpg

Are you only using one light. The proof eagle needs more light in the northern region. The gold looks super. The dime too dark.

I'm using 2 lights and also the dime is dark inhand. The rev has a little better luster and with the obv, I think the color is taking that away.

I see what you mean on the silver eagle, just a little more light topside. lol

Are you only using one light. The proof eagle needs more light in the northern region. The gold looks super. The dime too dark.

I agree with these comments.

To my eye, the gold has great lighting, but it appears to be a tad out of focus compared to the other two coins. Definitely making improvement! Keep it up!

Thanks ya'll. Quick note, I do agree I need just a little more light on the top end of the silver eagle. The dime is what it looks like inhand. I have taken pics of it in the past that were lighter to show the colors, but my goal is to have it look original. The dime is dark as shown on the Obv and a little lighter as shown on the Rev. I like that way it turned out.

I agree - I could stare at the gold coin for hours - what a nice picture.

See if you can focus the rev of the gold better. I had a hard time with that myself especially if the holder is tilted or something. You do seem to have the Cameo look nailed though.

Now...try a Cameo with toning. Good luck with that. :devil:

lol

jom

The cameo effect is nice, but do you know why?

A lower light angle for these means that the light isn't reflecting off the field into the camera, rendering them black (and hiding any toning). The light that hits the frosted devices is scattered by the frosted texture and a bunch of that light heads toward the camera. The edges of the design are white because they're at the correct angle for reflection of most of the low angle light toward the camera. Adding a lowish light at 11:00 on the ASE will fill in the shadows so that the highlights on the bottom edges won't seem as severe.

Cameos are one of the few subjects that benefit from lower light angles.

The cameo effect is nice, but do you know why?

A lower light angle for these means that the light isn't reflecting off the field into the camera, rendering them black (and hiding any toning). The light that hits the frosted devices is scattered by the frosted texture and a bunch of that light heads toward the camera. The edges of the design are white because they're at the correct angle for reflection of most of the low angle light toward the camera. Adding a lowish light at 11:00 on the ASE will fill in the shadows so that the highlights on the bottom edges won't seem as severe.

Cameos are one of the few subjects that benefit from lower light angles.

Thanks John. I'll work on these. I'm really enjoying the quality I'm getting right. I know I need fine tuning but I seem to be getting a more original look to my coins with this T4 canon than what I was getting with my S3canon. Not sure if it's the HD quality or what. Thanks for everyone's comments. I will try to hold myself from filling up threads with pictures, but it is nice to have others perspective than my own.