• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You can 3-D print a gun today, how long before a 1794 Dollar in PCGS SP66?

16 posts in this topic

How long will it be before we will be able to get our own 1794 Dollar which is atomically identical to the one recently sold for $10 Million? My prediction is sooner than most think.

3D Printers

the 3-D printers have been out for quite awhile. but I dont think they will be using metal as a medium any time soon, so I think the the Chinese are safe.

There was a time when the idea of 500 tons of metal flying thru the sky would have been deemed crazy talk. "Printing" a gun sounded pretty far out there too even shorter ago. Time makes everything possible.

When I first heard about this, I could not believe it and defending the lunacy behind it.

Today, its obviously become a reality however, given the fact that plastic is used for the actual printing I don't think that printing a coin (in metal) is even possible.

Yes, of course, current technology is insufficient. There will have to be many, many, many advances before anyone is going to be replicating coins on an atomic level.

Many, many, many advances had to be made to bring a room sized computer down to iPhone size.

The fact is, scientists are manipulating atoms on a single basis to make simple animations.

IBM create world's smallest ever animation on a molecular scale:

Besides 3D printers not using metal, the creator (the printer?) of an identical copy would HAVE to have the original in hand to produce a 100% 1 to 1 copy. Regular photos in 2D won't be enough.

I can wrap my mind around nano-bots carrying bundles of silver and copper atoms to a precise location, linking that bundle to other assembled bundles, ultimately erecting a 1794 silver dollar. Then the nano-slab bots come in and encapsulate the creation to get it ready to sell on e-Bay.

They don't use metal, and the resolution is not high enough to effectively and convincingly duplicate a coin.

Agree as it would look more like the coin soap Avon used to make :P

When I get my first 3D printer, the first thing I'm going to print is another 3D printer ;)

You cant wish for more wishes.

Wouldn't it be easier to use the technology to replicate a genuine slab? Are the Chinese really safe? :)

As for needing the actual coin to hypothetically "print" a duplicate, well, the owner can certainly do it in private before he/she sells it.

EVP