• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is NGC getting away from using numismedia as its price guide?

9 posts in this topic

Not to be rude, but I certainly hope NGC does move away from Numismedia. I find it odd that for the longest time many strike designations were eliminated from the price guide or there were no values reported notwithstanding recent transactions which I thought were ample enough to allow for a reasonable price range to be inferred. Also, the guide is all over the place, although I suspect that this is true with any guide. I'm sure that it is a massive amount of work, and I respect them, even though I don't think Numismedia has done the best job.

I find, in most cases, that the price values are closer to market values that the PCGS guide. There are much more designations, etc.. that are not included in the price guide that I would like to see added. Hopefully they will start doing more auction house comparisons, and yes includingebay auctions, so that the guides are more realistic. I know that this information is gathered by actual sales and there would still be guesses for coins that are not in the market as often as others.

I think updating the Numismedia price guide with actual data can only be a positive.

PCGS price guide is a joke and Numismedia is half a joke.

There is room in the market for a truly accurate guide and I think NGC might be onto something.

While I consider CW, CU, and L&C nice references for pricing coins I have never had a use for Numismedia.

If NGC does not plan to develop its own price guide like CU, then perhaps CW Values would be a neat selection. It is widely accepted by the marketplace and has been around since 1960.

Coin World Values is a one of the references in my pricing binder along with the Greysheet, Greensheet, Coins Magazine with US Coin Prices (Krause), and L&C monthly price list. I also have the Redbook and latest Redbook Professional handy.

The Greysheet and Greensheet are wholesale price guides and and the CDN specifically notes its prices are for dealer transactions and investor / collectors should expect to pay a premium above ask in retail transactions.

As always price guides are simply a guideline or starting point and in the case of the CDN past history even if only a week old. I believe one needs to study all price guides easily available to them in the series they collect / invest in to arrive at a valuation opinion.

Just my opinion, but a price guide is just that, a guide. For years I sold sports cards and if you have ever collected I'm sure you are familiar with Beckett. It's the go to guide. As a dealer I knew on certain cards if it was priced $100 I knew I would likely get $50. On the other hand certain cards priced $100 I could pull $150 all day. They are averages and a person, or a collective groups opinion on what something should sell for.

Everyone here knows that it's possible for a MS63 to be more attractive than a MS65 of the same coin...meaning in theory if you have the two coins for sale you will get paid more for a 63 than a 65. I know this to be true as I have both paid mor for lower grade coins and sold lower grade coins for more than the "superior" counterpart.

That's my two cents, take from it what you will

Does anybody use or subscribe to Numismedia i have never seen one referenced at any coins show i have attended. Its always the Greysheet.The only other place is Heritage Auctions that uses thier values.

Not bad for a free pirce guide to check values online.At least the website no longer has the spam messageboard anymore.

Any other free ones out thier that are good. :applause:

I am new to these boards and fairly new to coin collecting (I have only been collecting for about 9 months), but I have had a variety of hobbies - sports cards, fountain pen collecting, dabbled in watches, star wars collectibles, now coins. So far from what I have observed the magazines and now the NGC price guide, they all seem to be a bit high. Maybe they are trying to win the psychological game of trying to convince people that their stuff is worth more than what they will ever get for it.

My observation in the coin world is that the greysheet seems to be the most accurate price GUIDE out there. Maybe the prices are not what you can get on various venues, but it seems to be what most dealers use. What the dealers buy at - 85%, 60%, 50% of the bid price varies, but when you buy, it seems like they all reference the greysheet first. It is nice that that they come out weekly, so it can ride the waves of the hobbies, but it is also very expensive to buy.

Now, in my opinion, ebay is about the best place to determine value, it is a huge market and you can get just about anything you want...so I use that as a guide. Of course, you have to consider fees and all that jazz (which seem to go up daily), but I think the largest market sets the price on items (sight not seen of course, except for pictures).

Thanks,

Z