• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to get a coin you want?

10 posts in this topic

Congratulations for, at least, allowing the coin to be auctioned off and not contacting the seller to have them cancel the auction and sell it to you.The rest of us attempting to collect appreciate your restraint and can only hope it continues.

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to get a coin you want.

Figured this above clipped~n~ pasted from another thread would make for a good one it's own...

I am embarrassed to admit I'm also guilty of doing this at times when I spot something rare or conditionally scarce while hunting. Normally an item that I have to own right now at any expense and without competition. I know I could most likely acquire the item for less if I had the patience to let it run it's due course. Is it unethical and does it make someone a bad person for doing so? Would John Ford have built the kind of collection he did by playing by the rules and pussyfooting around instead of just going in for the kill and taking no prisoners?

What are your thoughts as to how you feel about this type of collector behavior hm

Thanks in advance! :)

Sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to get a coin you want.

I am guilty, as well. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of, though (yes, it's nice if someone doesn't jump it's bones, but when you see something the seller obviously doesn't, I think it's only natural on a pick, no?).

In the June 17th edition of CW (print), it explains the evolving situation with the Noe-5 1825 Coronet cent. Guy lists it at $10, TWO people ask him to end it early and sell outright within 15 minutes of listing it. We know how that ended. I'd bet it happens waaaaay more than one might think.

I don't see a problem with this behavior. I'm assuming this is done on eBay rather than the auction sites like Heritage, GC, Stack's etc...I'd have an issue if the auction houses were doing this, but not eBay.

To me eBay is the ultimate free market. You can find good deals, over priced items, fake items, reputable sellers, cheats and thieves. If you contact the seller on eBay and he's willing to sell you the coin at the price you offered, than so be it. That's a free market to me. It's not like you're putting a gun to the sellers head. He can either make the deal or let the auction continue. It does suck when you are also bidding on the coin, but you also have the same option of contacting the seller asking for an early end to the auction by offering him a price he/she is willing to accept.

I have done it on several occasions where a seller, usually not primarily a coin seller, is selling a toner, and doesn't realize the toning premium. So, I make an offer greater than he expects for a blast white piece in the same condition, and end up paying little premium for the toning.

And no, I don't feel bad about doing it. Free enterprise.

I don't see a problem with this behavior. I'm assuming this is done on eBay rather than the auction sites like Heritage, GC, Stack's etc...I'd have an issue if the auction houses were doing this, but not eBay.

To me eBay is the ultimate free market. You can find good deals, over priced items, fake items, reputable sellers, cheats and thieves. If you contact the seller on eBay and he's willing to sell you the coin at the price you offered, than so be it. That's a free market to me. It's not like you're putting a gun to the sellers head. He can either make the deal or let the auction continue. It does suck when you are also bidding on the coin, but you also have the same option of contacting the seller asking for an early end to the auction by offering him a price he/she is willing to accept.

jpcienkus, That's a really good reply and yes eBay (thumbs u

For me it's normally when something comes up that I know that the chances of finding a better example rank right up there with Megan Fox ringing my door bell naked and desperate ;)

I've done it before also. If I'm watching a coin that doesn't sell and then gets relisted for the same price, I will email the seller and ask his want price or offer the start price and offer to buy if he ends it.