• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GSA Silver Dollar Registry Now Ready!

8 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

A new registry set has been created for Carson City Mint GSA-holdered dollars with NGC grading labels applied. These coins may also be included in the regular Morgan Dollar sets.

These coins receive a scoring premium over non-GSA/NGC holdered coins in most grades, reflecting the premium placed on them by the marketplace. Due to their extreme rarity in GSA holders, 1889-CC, 1892-CC and 1893-CC are unscored as display-only items.

In case you missed it, here's the story on these GSA/NGC dollars:

http://www.collectors-society.com/news/viewarticle.asp?IDArticle=99

Hate to ask this question, but since NGC allows PCGS coins, will PCGS GSA-designated dollars get the same point premium as NGC GSA dollars (is the premium given for the GSA holder or for the fact the coin is a GSA dollar?)

These coins receive a scoring premium over non-GSA/NGC holdered coins in most grades, reflecting the premium placed on them by the marketplace.

David, I've got a few dozen super toned commems (many would be called 'monster' by the marketplace). How do I go about getting extra points for them, reflecting the premium placed on them by the marketplace?

I'll answer two questions:

The premium scoring for the GSA dollars is only for those coins graded within their original, rigid GSA holders. A silver dollar from the GSA hoard that has been certified by NGC or PCGS in their own company's holders will not receive a premium score, because it is the original holder itself that brings the premium. Presently, only NGC is grading GSA-holdered coins, but we will address the PCGS scoring issue if and when they begin grading GSA-holdered coins.

Regarding nicely toned commemoratives, these coins may be eligible for the NGC star designation, which carries a 25% scoring premium in our registry. We've been using the star for commems only during the past year or so, but this is added automatically to qualifying coins submitted since that time. If your coins are NGC graded and were certified more than a year ago, you may want to submit them again (in their holders) for possible star inclusion under our Designation Review service.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have one question. It's not really about the GSAs in the registry though. My question is this, In the census will there be a different category for GSA dollars compared to the regular dollars? To be a little more specific I mean where all of the dates are, will there be another list?

They may ultimately be listed as separate line items within the Census, but for the time being we're withholding their population data.

NGC has done this a number of times in the past to prevent low population figures from being exploited. For example, we withheld the modern (1965-date) figures for a year or so until enough had been certified to be representative of their overall rarity.