• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The '59 Franklin Blues

13 posts in this topic

In my quest to complete my proof sets (Franklin type 50-63) I am stuck at 1959. I've never seen anything like this......Let me explain first; I have built my sets purely from coins that have come in unopened OGP coins. I have sent them off for grading and every coin in my set is made up of these coins. As I took inventory I noticed that the only set that I have not completed was the 1959 Proof coins.....easy right? Not so......I am at a brick wall. The only coin I have in the set that is Cameo and very clean is a 1959 Lincoln PF67 CAM. That's it.....I have been through about 10 sets, opening them up from different sources and EVERY one of the Franklins have a light blue toning.....not even attractive. Nothing Cameo, nothing Gem, Just light Blue Franklins. Here are some pics....sIMG_0375_zps18c9c5fd.jpgee for yourself. Is anyone else having this problem???

IMG_0374_zps919c351d.jpg

IMG_0373_zps51508532.jpg

I have been building my 59' birth set with all coins 67cameo. I have all but the Franklin. It is very hard to find. The cheapest I've seen for sale lately is on ebay and they are asking $550. Not an easy find. Good luck!

1959 Franklins are VERY difficult to find with decent cameo contrast. They are by far the most difficult of the latter dates to find with Deep Cameo contrast.

The blue color appears to be a light hazing on the surface. Professional conservation can remove that and you will have a very attractive coin.

Cameo 1959's are almost as hard as 50 and 51. They are a key date of the series for a reason.

I just happened to have bought a 1959 Proof Set, why......have no idea.... But the Franklin looks really nice but you would have to judge as to whether it was cameo or just a very nice Franklin Half.

I really can't remember right now why I bought the set. But anyway I am more than willing to try and help someone out if I can.

I take very bad photos but my movies seem to be better to illustrate the cameo if it exists or not. If you would like I can try to find the time in between reorganizing my safe to take some pictures and video if so desired.

If it is something you can use then we can work something out that is fair for both. I still can't remember why I bought it. (shrug)

It is still sealed in it's original holder and I do not think it has been switched out like some of the other b u t t oles do allot of the time.

wdrob....am interested....PM me w/details and price and lets see what we can do. I think it is a general consensus that '59 was a bad year for the Mint. I will remain on my quest!!! Hopefully I will also find something at an upcoming Coin show that I am attending.

Bud

It really doesn't look like this one is any better than that bottom right one you have in your pictures but keep in mind I am taking the pictures and the movie with a Nokon Coolpix......Does not do very well.

Example Image:

DSCN3365.JPG

This is the link to the Google Photos so you can check all of them out.

Video:

Should be the YouTube Video

Good Luck!

Yeah it would be slightly easier to make sure by taking it out of the holder but I haven't done that and I doubt I will .... That Quarter Dollar actually looks a little better to me.

I think I remember why I bought it now. I was after another 59 Penny that would do a little better than another I submitted. Or that nickel might have been the reason. I would just have to go back and check out the price sheets on all the coins and see just what I was after. (shrug)

Hell maybe I was after a Franklin. lol

I bought mine at a STL show about 5 years ago since it was my birth year coin. At the time, I don't think I fully understood that it was a key date in cameo :blush:

Anyway, I'm a happy owner!

LouisSoccerFranklinHalf8-08029.jpg

(it's since been put into a new prong NGC holder so the shine wouldn't be repressed!)

I'm looking to upgrade my 1959 PF-68 CAM to a PF-69 CAM. A trip to the Long Beach show today was disappointing. Very few PF-CAMs in any date, and the few I saw were mid-grade and nothing special.

Be patient, they are out there, but not at Long Beach.

Not finding a camey after having looked at 10 sets is FAR from cause for discouragement on any date in the Franklin series nonetheless searching for a 1959 cameo.

I've been searching since Jan. 2011 and have yet to find one worth grading, I'd estimate I've looked through at least 200 1959 sets. I finally caved and picked up a PR64 CAM at a show awhile back.

Keep at it...you'll find one...I think.