• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old Morgans Worth?

8 posts in this topic

hi everyone.

I just joined here because

I do not know about old coins.

My dad left me with some morgan dollar coins.

They have been keep in good condition and individually

wrapped in cloth. The morgans I have are:

(2)1890, 1878-CC, 1888, 1887-O, 1891-O. I'd like to get an idea if they

will be worth anything.

Of the grading services, especially PCGS, NGC or ANACS does it really matter which

service a person uses? I can post clear pictures of my morgans.

Thanks,

morganicon

Welcome to the forum.

Be sure not to clean the coins.

Posting images will hopefully allow forum members to provide ballpark values or value ranges for you.

The grading company used can make a difference. But keep in mind, the coins might not be worth the cost of grading and postage.

Welcome to the forums!

Please post some pictures and we can get a better assesment of your coins. As of now, the one coin that stands out at me is the 1878-CC. The 1878-CC coin in Mint State condition is worth the submission fees for either NGC of PCGS. The 1878-CC can bring thousands of dollars in higher Mint State grades.

Pictures would help.

Don't clean them, and consider different storage other than the cloth wrapping. I would be concerned that the coins minor movements against the cloth will cause the appearance of cleaning.

Good advice above.

You might want to buy a Redbook as it has the basic information you need to judge the coin. There are MANY knowledgeable collectors on this site, so posting pictures will allow you to get accurate assessments of the coins.

Also, if you decide to send for grading, I would send to either NGC or PCGS. These are the top 2 and will garner you the most return if you decide to sell. There are die hard NGC fans and also PCGS fans.

IMO, your best next step is to buy the Redbook and post pictures here.

U CAN ALSO GET A REDBOOK AT ANY LOCAL LIBRARY. BUT RVERY REPLY ABOVE IS ACCURATE A WISE.. GET A FEW SNAPLOCK HOLDERS. THEY ARE ONLY ABOUT 15DOLLARS FOR A CASE OF 25 HOLDERS.. IF U POST PICS IT WOULD BE MORE HELPFUL THE 1878CC IS THE ONE STANDING OUT. I ACTUALLY AM SENDING A 1878CC TO NGC FOR GRADING AND THEN KEEP IT FOREVER,THRY ARE 1ST YEAR MORGANS AND ESPECIALLY THE CARSON CITY THEME IS ELUSIVE SINCE THEY ONLY MINTED MOE=RGANS FOR 13 YEARS.. VERY RARE IN MS AND THEY OFTEN BRING A HIGHER PREMIUM THAN REDBOOK SIMPLY FOR THE REASONS STATED ABOVE.... ANY TIE U HAVE A QUESTION OR NEED GUIDENCE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MESSAGE OR CALL 410-920-5168 SINCERELY MARK B... NO CLEANING!!! IT DEPRECIATES THE VALUE!!!!!