• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Australian Silver Koala (1 Kilo, 32.15 ozs) a good way to accumulate silver?

6 posts in this topic

Texmetsls is extremely competitive and quite reliable. Hard to find much better. As for is that a good way to accumulate silver, not sure depends on what you want to do. One pincers are nice if you plan to resell and not have to worry about the limited number of people wanting a larger block of silver. Of course it's not like a kilo is that huge. 100 oz bars are probably tougher to move at times.

In those states where U.S. coins are exempt from sales tax, like Florida, or in those states that give sales tax breaks after a certain level of sale, like $1,000, buying 90% U.S. silver coins is the best way to accumulate silver. Foreign coins are usually treated differently.

I'm also not a big fan of very large pieces. At least with small pieces you can break up the lot, if need be, if you want to sell a small amount or can sell only a small amount.

In those states where U.S. coins are exempt from sales tax, like Florida, or in those states that give sales tax breaks after a certain level of sale, like $1,000, buying 90% U.S. silver coins is the best way to accumulate silver. Foreign coins are usually treated differently.

I'm also not a big fan of very large pieces. At least with small pieces you can break up the lot, if need be, if you want to sell a small amount or can sell only a small amount.

I was pretty sure Bullion wasn'tt included in our sales tax break here in Florida...just coins...but I looked it up and I guess as long as the bullion sale is $500 or more than it's exempt...good to know :)

100 oz bars are probably tougher to move at times.

They certainly aren't hard to move here in Buffalo. As a matter of fact, they've been a little hard to find.

Paul

What is the premium on these and are they issued by the Royal Australian Mint or the Perth Mint? (I cannot remember.)

In the past, I have considered buying silver through the Perth Mint or using their storage program. However, the last time I checked, their mark-ups for both their own products and allocated storage (which requires fabrication) were what I would describe as exorbitant. If they are similar, I am not sure if this is reflected in the current bid-ask spread and if so, how much. But in any event, if the premiums are higher than others such as ASE, I would forget it.