• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fingerprints, are they that bad?

13 posts in this topic

I don't love fingerprints, but if I find a nice looking coin with some fingerprints on it, I won't hesitate to buy it. In fact, a few of my favorite coins do have some fingerprints.

Reading some threads(mostly another board), I noticed some people really hate fingerprints.

I can understand people will hate fingerprints on super high grade coins, but do you expect no fingerprints even on low grade MS coins? Are fingerprints generally not acceptable in U.S?

Toyo

Every one has their own taste as far as fingerprints on a coin. I only collect toned coins, and no matter how great the toning may be, I'll pass on the coin because of a print.

Fingerprints aren't necessarily bad. In fact, quite often, the lovely toning seen on some classic coins resulted from fingerprints. I think it's a problem though if there is potential for the residue left by the fingerprint to corrode the coin. I have a 1917-S T-2 Standing Liberty quarter that is a borderline BU with a full-head, but unfortunately, there's a big black fingerprint smack-dab on the obverse that caused the surfaces to corrode slightly over time.

James

Personally, I absolutely detest fingerprints on a coin. To me, no matter how nice the coin may be otherwise, fingerprints are a major eye sore that distracts from the coins good points. confused-smiley-013.gif

I can’t keep my eye of being drawn to them and thinking ‘Why did someone have to be so careless and leave a fingerprint on this coin’! 893frustrated.gif

John

Many people will avoid buying a coin that has fingerprints on it, however, with the toned coins that I have owned I have always been willing to accept fingerprints, to a degree, if the toning were exceptional. On some coins the toning went around and through the print and always reminded me of a snowflake.

A fingerprint is probably the quickest thing that will stop me from buying a coin. After that, a carbon spot.

I find fingerprints just awful on coins.

wow victor i love caleb thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Many people will avoid buying a coin that has fingerprints on it, however, with the toned coins that I have owned I have always been willing to accept fingerprints, to a degree, if the toning were exceptional. On some coins the toning went around and through the print and always reminded me of a snowflake.

--------------------

Tom

i am with tomb as i think he is saying it all depends.....

for most fingerprinted coins i would agree a pass but there are some that well the print is not that bad abd with the overall look of the coin doesnot hurt the eye appeal at all and may help it and then is a part of the proof of originality but these coins are not seen everyday but they are out there

again it all depends on the coin for most no i would take a pass for some that are total exceptional coins this is fine with me

as with everything else it is on a case by case basis

michael

A fingerprint is probably the quickest thing that will stop me from buying a coin. After that, a carbon spot.

I agree and follow those with coins with weak strikes and distracting marks in the main focal areas! headbang.gif

Leo laugh.gif

Here's a fingerprint that probably came about way back when! See attachment!

591620-M41D6toned.jpg.ab10c3790b7177fcf643ebb9f08bff79.jpg

I'm surprised to know so many members hate fingerprints to that extent.

Of course, I don't like them, but I can appreciate a coin with some fingerprints if it has good luster and strike.

When I was a kid back in late 70's, there was a boom for coin&stamp collection in my country. I chose to collect coins because someone told me stamps are not allowed to handle with bare hands or they might leave fingerprints.....as a kid, I couldn't imagine collecting items without touching them....I loved to hold coins in my hands.......but, but a few decades after then, I find myself buying coins already in plastic holders wink.gif

I'm surprised to know so many members hate fingerprints to that extent.

Of course, I don't like them, but I can appreciate a coin with some fingerprints if it has good luster and strike.

When I was a kid back in late 70's, there was a boom for coin&stamp collection in my country. I chose to collect coins because someone told me stamps are not allowed to handle with bare hands or they might leave fingerprints.....as a kid, I couldn't imagine collecting items without touching them....I loved to hold coins in my hands.......but, but a few decades after then, I find myself buying coins already in plastic holders wink.gif

I believe that quite a few coins received their fingerprints from back when a collector would use his thumb to push the coin into one of those Whitman folders cut-out openings or holes or something like it. Baack then I used my elbow to push those pennies into them folders! Hey, does anyone have a coin with an elbowprint on it? idea.gif27_laughing.gif

Leo