• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 1938 San Francisco Jefferson 5c piece posted by Jim Berline

5 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Early minted Francisco nickel with those Elusive Fullsteps!

Of all of the three mints,it was the San Francisco that had the lowest population in this year. Problems surfaced - From not only showing a very weak strike to it' but also on the step-area of the coin as well. Trying to find a really nice gem like this one here has always been tough on collectors.

I was surprized by referencing this coin' that another former member'(Hoot! also had this coin, he won two awards in the best presented category back in 2003' & 2004' here at Ngc. It was amusing to me, because I was reading up on his comments in his collection and noticed this coin(certification number) matched-up with his'. He wrote quite an article about this coin.

Viewing these photos you'll notice very clean fields, but again' also very weak fullsteps to go with it! I had to grab this, knowing full well' this coin borders from being a MS66 with the steps. Price values soar into higher grade,I may just let Ngc grade this rarity later on for me .

13696.jpg

See more journals by Jim Berline

What is even more elusive is the grading services giving the full steps on 1938 reverses business strikes. You better not crack that coin out, as it may never get the step designation again. If you look at blow-ups on 1938 FS designated coins, you would scratch your head over many that have it.

Jim,

You are smart enough to know what you have. If you think it will cross then go for it. I had a submission ready to go this weekend that had 8 nickels and got dropped to 2. I would surely like to have the 8 but they are what they are!!! And I know that. :)

Later--Rick

I'm gonna have to go with e1 here...running the risk of the grade crossing but not getting FS designation is not worth it--for one.

The second thing is, if it does cross to NGC at the same grade and FS--then you just spent another $30 to have the coin in a slab which usually sells for about 15 to 25%less?

Be happy with finding a nice coin with a great track record....congrats.

Yes,,,after rethinking what e1cnr' just wrote me, I've had 2nd thoughts on regrading at this time. At one time this coin was owned by Hoot, a lot of history behind it, and makes it all worthwhile.

I'm just keeping it just the way it is, thanks again for your comments from all of you,,,,it keeps me on my toes.

Jim Berline